It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Lakeside Cagney
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:15 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:35 am
Posts: 8139
Location: Wilton, NY
At the Lakeside amusement park in west Denver, 22-inch gauge. Said to be built for the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis (which had both 15-inch and 22-inch gauge Cagney operations). Lakeside was a White City park when first opened, and I think had one of the smaller trains initially. The track circles Lake Rhoda (man made) and goes under the roller coaster. There are two of these, still running today, with one modified with a new higher boiler.

http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?a ... Denver.jpg


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lakeside Cagney
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:36 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
Wasn't there a television show about two female railroaders, called "Cagney and Lakeside"?

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Lakeside Locos
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:21 pm 

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:35 am
Posts: 332
Location: Cortez, CO 81321
http://www.lakesideamusementpark.com/Rides/wpe37.jpg

_________________
S. Roger Kirkpatrick, Cortez, CO - Gateway to Mesa Verde National Park


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lakeside Cagney
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:38 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:10 pm
Posts: 1182
Unless I am mistaken, that nattily-attired engineer is none other than Bing Crosby. And I'm sure his assistant is a female singr whose name I should know but can't recall at the moment. And those other gals posing in the coaches appear to be the chorus line of a show.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lakeside Cagney
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:23 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:35 pm
Posts: 374
As a Cagney Fan, I can tell you that one of the two steamers currently at Lakeside is (or could be) a Cagney. It has a very “Cagney” look in some ways, however, it is true that the boiler has been raised and a number of other modifications made…….I have no idea why any of these modifications were made. I was at Lakeside last week and the steamers were not on line. No reason why. The second steamer is NOT a Cagney nor does it have anything that would even resemble being a Cagney. It is a much smarter locomotive however, I was informed last year by a Lakeside engineer that the locomotive was down for service with no expected return date. I have no idea what the current status of either locomotive is today. You can see our Cagney at www.wasatch-rr-contractors.com

John E. Rimmasch
Wasatch Railroad Contractors


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lakeside Cagney
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:19 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:35 am
Posts: 8139
Location: Wilton, NY
Perhaps they have added a different locomotive, as I have not been there for over 40 years. For many decades, however, there were two identical Cagneys, one of which was modified into the narrow gauge-like engine in the link with the streamliner. The unmodified Cagney was still there a few years ago, as I've seen photos of it on the internet and even footage of it on a PBS show about old amusement parks. They used to doublehead them once a year. In my youth, the regular engineer was a retired UP man who had previously operated Big Boys..

Very brief video here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vkMYRDH_NEo


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: A few more Lakeside photos
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:51 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:35 am
Posts: 8139
Location: Wilton, NY
The entrance in 1935, with a UP shield, not sure of the connection:

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10027617+X-27617

Auto entrance, with trolley tracks:

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10027411+X-27411

Jimmy Garrigan and Orchestra on train, 1934:

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10027431+X-27431

Entrance tower, once covered completely with electric lights, 1933:

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10027407+X-27407

Tower lit in 1929 (probably before the crash):

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10027628+X-27628

Train in 1931:

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00012435+OP-12435

Train in 1930:

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10027433+X-27433

Depot in 1930:

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10027432+X-27432

This one says train in 1920 (?) and it could be Bing:

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00186673+Rh-1673

Aerial views, 1910, 1920:

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10027602+X-27602
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10027621+X-27621

Ballroom, 1910:

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10 ... 06+X-27606

Speedboat ride, says 1910, I suspect later:

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10027430+X-27430

This one says 1908, and looks like a smaller class D Cagney to me. It was still a White City park then:

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00186028+Rh-1028

Earlier view of White City:

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00070943+MCC-943

This view says 1904:

http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?20001324+CHS-L1324

Lakeside was still a fun place to go when I was a kid in the 1950s, when my single mother would save her pennies for a 200-mile bus trip to the big city of Denver, staying in a decrepit old downtown hotel that had long passed its glory, shopping during the day and going out to Lakeside and Elitches in the evenings. I think after I retire, I'll make Lakeside part of a Colorado vacation again...


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: