It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg rumor question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:06 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:24 pm
Posts: 283
Location: New Jersey
I figured that the shop myth was false. It just made no sence. What about the round house?

_________________
Eric Bolton
Superintendent/Owner
East Tigard & Southern RR Co.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg rumor question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:52 am 

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:19 am
Posts: 720
Location: Scottsboro, AL
R L Musser wrote:
One of the concerns from one of the above posts was the the station area was getting a little too amusement like. The Cagney, pump car, and cranky cars are mainly there for one reason, and that is to get more people to come to the Railroad. What we have discovered over the last 5 - 10 years is that people want to be entertained constantly.


The genius of Strasburg is the ability to not only give people something to do while they are waiting, but to take their money in the process. When I visit I admire the steam engines and the coach fleet, but also the sheer number of points of sale. Look around and count the cash registers. It all contributes to keeping the wheels turning and the whistle blowing, and it's done with a reasonable effort at visual harmony. And it works; after buying a train ticket and a shop tour, I seldom can get away without spending $100 in the book store.

Alan Maples


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg rumor question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:02 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: Sackets Harbor, NY
I congratulate everyone associate with the Strasburg operation for running what I consider to be far and away the best operation in the industry by a country mile!!!
The first rule of selling is "sell 'em what they want to buy"!!! In todays HIGHLY competitive entertainment world ,just a "choo-choo" ride is not nearly enough to bring the kind of numbers Strasburg is able to generate and not nearly enough to encourage a return visit. From my perspective I think they've done a class job of intergrating those other "fun things" into the overall visitor experience in such a way as to enhance the trains role not detract from it.
And for me the key ingredient is consistency. Every time I've visited the place has been spotless clean (including the rest rooms), the grounds immaculate, the staff both freindly AND knowledgeable, and the equipment absolutely gorgeous. Oh yes, and the schedule maintained TO THE MINUTE!!! How fortunate we are as an industry to have one property that all others can strive to equal!!
I certainly hope they continue to prosper and that others will use their success as a model and work hard to emulate them.
IMHO-Ross Rowland


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg rumor question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:51 am 

Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:30 pm
Posts: 0
To answer Eric's question, we hope to build a roundhouse and put in turntables, but that all depends on finances.
That being said, if you guys come out and ride the Cranky Cars (don't hit you jaw with your knees) a few times, maybe we can start moving some earth!

Rick


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg rumor question
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:02 pm 

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:02 pm
Posts: 1883
Location: Back in NE Ohio
I seldom can get away without spending $100 in the book store.

Alan Maples[/quote]

Alan, you're just not cheap enough, ahahaha <g>. (Takes one cheap railroader to know.)

Seriously though, from having been at the little informal RYPN gathering last Sunday there, I have to agree that they do maximize buying opportunities. I also agree that the place is really, really clean, and they have people walking around cleaning up. Sort of reminded me of a place like Cedar Point in terms of neatness. One thing they have that CP doesn't is some shaded parking, and that was really appreciated last weekend.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:41 am 

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:19 am
Posts: 720
Location: Scottsboro, AL
PaulWWoodring wrote:
Alan, you're just not cheap enough.


Well Paul, they did it again, I stopped by Strasburg yesterday and the Rail Road successfully removed over $200 from my wallet. All for the good in the name of steam railroad preservation. A dining car ticket, lunch in the dining car, shop tour (well done, Steve), a what-the-heck-I'm-already-here ride on the President's car, and of course the book store. Strasburg was enjoying a near perfect peak summer Saturday, with blue skies, comfortable temperatures, low humidity, and mobs of people. My only complaint - I was having such a good time that I couldn't pry myself away to get to Williams Grove in the afternoon.

Alan Maples


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: .
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:37 am 

Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:52 am
Posts: 2477
.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: