It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Illinois Midland 2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:01 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:35 am
Posts: 8139
Location: Wilton, NY
Here at Newark, Illinois in October 1933. This one lasted into the late-1950s in steam, but never got saved. I think it was a very short line that served an elevator and was taken over by the CB&Q. Perhaps someone can tell us more.

http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi? ... 06/im2.jpg


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Illinois Midland 2 ??
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:16 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6487
bobyar2001 wrote:
Here at Newark, Illinois in October 1933. This one lasted into the late-1950s in steam, but never got saved. I think it was a very short line that served an elevator and was taken over by the CB&Q. Perhaps someone can tell us more.

http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi? ... 06/im2.jpg


Bob - I'm not sure about this. As I recall, the number of the Illinois Midland 0-4-0T that lasted into the 1950's was number 4; not #2. And I think she had a CB&Q headlight. But I may be wrong on this. Perhaps Don C., or someone else familiar with the IM, can give us some info. I may well be wrong.

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Illinois Midland 2 ??
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:08 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 500
Location: Northern Illinois
Bob and Les,

Here is a link to IM #4, taken in 1956 by Don Ross. Compare it with IM #2 and they are clearly different locomotives. The one lung air pump and the shorter water tank are stand-out differences.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/imr4.jpg

The next link is to a story published locally (Oswego, IL and the Fox River Valley) in a once a week newspaper. It gives a good summary about the railroad but mentions little about the locomotive.

http://www.ledgersentinel.com/article.asp?a=4866

My memories of the railroad are very limited. After #4 was retired in 1959, it was replaced with former "Q" Whitcomb centercab gas-electric switcher 9120. It was replaced, in turn, by a four wheeled critter, maybe a Plymouth, after the 9120 had a traction motor failure. I do remember seeing 9120 cut-in just ahead of the waycar on an Ottawa branch local in 1964 or 1965, maybe, heading presumably to a scrapper. We would occasionally go on a Sunday drive and end up in Millington, IL. My father pointed out the shed in which they kept the 0-4-0T but I have no recollection of ever seeing her. He and my grandfather were building a small house in Oswego, IL, in the early to mid 1950's and he told me once that he saw the engine running light on the branch back towards Millington. He assumed it had been in Aurora at the "Q" shops for some sort of work.

I hope this helps.

Don C.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: