It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Steamtown's Specials
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:18 pm 

On Sunday, July 13, Steamtown NHS ran an excursion to Tobyhanna, PA with its 4-6-2 no. 2317. A walking tour escorted riders to Mill Pond to see the recreated ice house that was a feature of the MILW 261's winter spectacular in 1996.
Since this Tobyhanna train returned at 3pm, our 2pm excursion to Moscow, PA was hauled by NKP GP-9 no. 514. This should be a train chasers delight, especially since a Pocono Summit -bound grain train was on the line also. This pattern will be repeated on Sunday, July 27, and on Sunday, August 17. (may not include grain train)
The first four Saturdays in Aug will feature no. 514 on the former D&H Line with runs to various cities. These 11 am trains will be the first public excursion on the line since Railphoto 92 (aside from school trips known as the Heritage Express and the D-L Alco celebration 2 years ago.)This train will cross Lackawanna Ave in downtown Scranton on the former Lackawanna RR Diamond Branch, before swinging on the steep Strawberry Hill branch, to join up with the main at Olive St.
All trains will go to the runaround in Carbondale, and will stop in various towns. 2pm excursions will run to Moscow, PA with steam. Please check the website for details. Please buy a ticket. These runs are tests to feel out the public's response, and may reshape the STEA operations.

http://www.nps.gov/stea/


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown's Specials
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:25 pm 

The prospect of running a new route is a good idea. Is there any chance that steam might be used on one of these Carbondale trips? I think I will ride either way but steam might get more folks out. Also how about the Delaware Water Gap trips. Word around the net is they will not be steam both ways? Is this the case and if so is it due to lack of turning facilities?

Thanks,

Tom


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown's Specials
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:30 pm 

> The prospect of running a new route is a
> good idea. Is there any chance that steam
> might be used on one of these Carbondale
> trips? I think I will ride either way but
> steam might get more folks out. Also how
> about the Delaware Water Gap trips. Word
> around the net is they will not be steam
> both ways? Is this the case and if so is it
> due to lack of turning facilities?

> Thanks,

> Tom
Hi, Tom:
When original plans were drawn up for these trips, we were planning to run CP 2317 on one of the trips and CN 3254 on the other. However, wheel problems that TVRM are correcting on the 3254 will delay the arrival of this steamer for the C-Dale trips. I'm not sure how likely the Delaware Water Gap trips will have both engines ready, but there will be steam on the first trip Eastbound only. I have suggested, as per Rob Davis' hope, that Steam lead on one of the October trips, Westbound. I am not in control of the planning, or execution of any of the trips, but they all add to the image of Scranton as a Rail Center. Hope to see you aboard.


http://www.nps.gov/stea/


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown's Specials
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:39 pm 

> The prospect of running a new route is a
> good idea. Is there any chance that steam
> might be used on one of these Carbondale
> trips? I think I will ride either way but
> steam might get more folks out. Also how
> about the Delaware Water Gap trips. Word
> around the net is they will not be steam
> both ways? Is this the case and if so is it
> due to lack of turning facilities?

> Thanks,

> Tom
One more time, Tom;
There is not a lack of turning facilities, but the train will not reach the turning facility(wye) in Portland, PA. There may be a number of reasons for this, but the destination of the excursion is the Point of Gap, which is a parking lot/overlook area of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. The train will not stop at the train station (under I-80) or in Slateford or in Portland. Very likely, Delaware-Lackawanna Diesels will haul the return trips, since I don't think 514 can do it alone. That's a tough climb heading west .


http://www.nps.gov/stea/


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown's Specials
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:19 am 

In a perfect world, we'd have doubleheaded DL&W Pacifics, but since they aren't available...

The C'dale trips would be great for steam, but the rare-trackage/open-window coaches/vintage Geep combo should appeal to buffs and tourists.

To add one bit of translation to Tim's post about the Water Gap trip: return behind D-L diesels means 4 or 6 axle Alcos storming up Devils Hole. Not a bad substitution for steam.

Tim, if the powers that be do decide to run steam westbound on one trip, they might want to spread the word, as that would surely be a draw to get the video and audio buffs on board... especially if the combine is up front and open for recording buffs. I gotta say, that was one of the highlights of the NS program and Ross Rowland mainline trips. I'm not a recorder, but I had no problem standing in the second row and listening.

Seems like really nice things are going on at STEA!

Rob Davis


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown's Specials
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:46 pm 

Hello

Rob, I have to agree, there are some great things going on in Scranton, even with just one steam engine at the moment. The Tobyhanna trip seemed to be popular last Sunday and I'm looking forward to the trips to the Delaware Water Gap.

I've never been thrilled with the Carbondale trips; they're really more for the die-hard rare mileage crowd. I find them interesting for the history involved (what once was, and all that jazz) but I'm not sure how well the public will enjoy them, especially with diesel power. I still say itÂ’s always better to try new things than doing the same old same old though...

Your best bet, if any one is planning to do the "Gap" trips are the October runs. The weather and scenery will be better. The fares may very well be cheaper (no buffet and ceremony) and the likelihood of 2 steam engines is greater, though by no means definite.

Personally, and this is my own opinion as a purist... By and large I don't like double headers. Think about it, you often (but not always) get two different type engines from two different railroads on a train that would never rate 2 engines to begin with. Its different in the case of say the California SP Pacifics, or the Soo Line engines in the Midwest perhaps, but a CN Mike and CP Pacific on an 8-car train doesn't do anything for me. Now if the 2816 ever came to Scranton, that would be a different story.

Myself and Tim O' were in Gouldsboro last year and were treated with the sight of a Tobyhanna special rolling past a restored depot, at speed. Now THAT was perfection, nothing else required. Seeing the 2317, a PASSENGER engine, on a solid green PASSENGER train, listening to an engine REALLY work did more to stir my soul than any hodgepodge motive power lineup ever could.

I'm tellin you guys, THIS is the year......

Dave Crosby


bing@epix.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown's Specials
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:19 pm 

> Your best bet, if any one is planning to do
> the "Gap" trips are the October
> runs. The weather and scenery will be
> better. The fares may very well be cheaper
> (no buffet and ceremony) and the likelihood
> of 2 steam engines is greater, though by no
> means definite.

As a part time resident in the Stroudsburg area, I agree that you should wait to October to ride. The vegetation through Broadhead's Creek and the Gap itself is really heavy. If you remember those classic photos of the Phoebe Snow easing through those curves with the river and mountains in the background, forget it! 30+ years of growth has closed off a lot of those scenes.

My question is when will the EL diner be done? I want to eat my EL "Italian Style" Spaghetti and Meatballs while rolling through the Poconos.

s_essler@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown's Specials
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:50 pm 

I agree with Dave about the doubleheader with the two engines that operate at Steamtown. Now I did ride the trip to Cresco behind 261 and return behind 2317 and 425 and can say that it was one of the top trips I have ever been on in my life.

I also agree that CPR 2816 would be one heck of a doubleheading partner for 2317. I really hope that we get to see that happen one day.

I have ridden Steamtown trips on average once per year since the big grand opening. The added routes and steam will surely get me back for more.

Tom Gears


  
 
 Post subject: 3254 wheels
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:12 pm 

I can report real progress on the wheels. "Uncle Al" was blasting away on them today inside TVRM's East Chattanooga Shop. He has quite a deep gouge notched out of one wheel center and 'cracks a plenty'! The report is that actual progress is evident. BTW: Other wheels at TVRM for repair at the moment include PRR 1361, NKP 765, GSMR 1702 and the FEC 0-8-0.


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: