It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: I was there last month....
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:43 pm 

> I was at the RRMPA on August 5, and there
> was a set of stairs up to the south east cab
> window of the GG1 with no normal internal
> cab acess.

That sounds like the same setup as when I was a docent. My position was inside, sitting in the engineer's seat. While I was a volunteer, there was no visitor access to the interior. Ok, well - one time two gentlemen who happened to operate GG-1's came by I bent the rules a little bit. They traded me a lot of stories of the "old days" - it's still one of my fondest PRM memories.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: PCB story
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:51 pm 

ADA compliance Does not go into altering historic buildings or such. Meaning that you do not have to alter a historic place to have ADA. ADA covers new contruction.


  
 
 Post subject: ADA access--yes, speculation......
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:46 pm 

> ADA compliance Does not go into altering
> historic buildings or such. Meaning that you
> do not have to alter a historic place to
> have ADA. ADA covers new contruction.

The (speculative) implication I was making regarding cab access is that some person in a wheelchair is going to sue for access because there isn't a wheelchair lift/ramp right beside the stairs leading up to the cab of (pick a locomotive or car)--or, in the case of the RR Museum of Pa., the viewing pit under PRR 1187. Actually, come to think of it, I think a couple of the lower exhibits at the RR Museum of Pa. DID have ramps as well as stairs, but then again the cab of a GG1 is quite high.

Given what has happened with quite a few nonprofit organizations in Maryland I have worked with that have been sued to construct access or accommodations by people who have never even visited said places, I fear it's not a matter of IF this will happen to the RR Museum of Pa., but WHEN. The only rational options are either megabucks for lifts that may be used a couple times a year, or disallowing ALL cab/car/window access.


LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: hearsay is hearsay
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:48 pm 

Okay, okay, I'm going back to the individual in question and demanding dates, names, and permission to quote him by name.

THEN will we consider this a valid discussion?!?!?!?

LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: