It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Blacksmithing
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:28 pm 

As we all know many of the parts used on railroad equipment isn't available at your local hardware store. The railroads addressed this by having a blacksmith shop attached to all of their shop facilities. As we enter the 21st century the art of blacksmithing is fading but all is not lost.

There is training classes around the nation where you can learn basic blacksmithing techniques. If you have an interest in learning blacksmithing go to the ABANA website and check for your local affiliated organization. While most blacksmithing today is more artistic, the techniques used are applicable to making tools and parts for locomotives and railcars. I joined the California Blacksmithing Association, took classes and recieved my Basic 1 certificate. I have made many parts for restoring equipment and am now in the process of setting up a full blacksmith shop at our restoration facility. A full shop will save us money in the long run especially since a forge will let us work steel without using up all our oxygen/acetlene (rosebud tips and thick steel use up a lot of gas).

More than anything else the basic knowlege of blacksmithing makes you unafraid to heat up steel to red hot and shape it into a part that you need. Plus I've got to admit, it's fun.

Go to the link below and look for your local blacksmithing organization. If anything else it will give you a local resource for having parts made.

http://www.abana.org/affiliates/affiliate_list.html
jmann@asyst.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blacksmithing
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:48 am 

TVRM has hosted a local Blacksmith group for several years now. They have built their own shop adjacent to ours and have been a valuable asset. Upon completion of our wheel shop back in 2000, they made a special handrail that was mounted on the step leading up to the platform behind the wheel lathe.

The group hosts training classes one night a week. They also have been one our "entertainment units" for the Day Out with Thomas since we hosted our first event in 1999.

G. Mark
TVRM

Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum
aw90@comcast.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blacksmithing
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:49 am 

I worked two summers during college (late 1980's) at a small Steel Mill where my Dad (and grandpap previously) worked. As summer help, they rotated me into various positions, but I once got to spend two weeks working as the assistant to the blacksmith. It is amazing to see a professional blacksmith work their magic. Every morning he started up a nice coal fire in the oven so we could heat up parts. I still remember the smell.

But, what I remember the most, is the steam hammer in the shop. That thing scared the living daylights out of me. If you didn't adjust it correctly, it would go off in spasms. I would help him hold the end of long rods that he would guide into the LOUD steam hammer. I don't know what size it was, but it felt like it was shaking the foundation of the whole shop. (The blacksmith also used it to flatten aluminum cans for recycling.)

Sorry for the rambling, but those are good memories, and I can definitely see how associating a blacksmith operation with a railroad preservation society would be a good thing.

JimE

JimE's train pages
jrevans@accusort.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: