It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Excellent Primer Article on intellectual Property
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm 

The Winter 2004 Pennsylvania CPA JOURNAL published by the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants has an excellent article by Barry Friedman an attorney with an IP practice. The article discusses the three basic forms of IP (Patents, Trade/Service Marks and Copyrights), their applications, initiation and maintenance. When/If it is posted as a past issue article on the PICPA website-I'll put up the link here.

Interestingly, the article states trademarks exist in common law and require continous use to be maintained.

It would SEEM (i'm not a lawyer) that UP or anybody else dusting off a fallen flag after years of disuse is asserting a right they don't have-BUT of course they have a lot of inhouse counsel and paper.



superheater@rrmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Excellent Primer Article on intellectual Prope
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:11 pm 

> It would SEEM (i'm not a lawyer) that UP or
> anybody else dusting off a fallen flag after
> years of disuse is asserting a right they
> don't have-BUT of course they have a lot of
> inhouse counsel and paper.

I beleive UP at least keeps several freight cars circulating with MP, CNW and other fallen flag reporting marks to keep the marks in service. WHentehr that amounts to enough use I'll leave to an IP lawyer.


eledbetter@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Excellent Primer Article on intellectual Prope
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:50 am 

> I beleive UP at least keeps several freight
> cars circulating with MP, CNW and other
> fallen flag reporting marks to keep the
> marks in service. WHentehr that amounts to
> enough use I'll leave to an IP lawyer.

The Southern Railway Historical Association (SRHA) negotiated with Norfolk Southern to obtain rights to various obsolete Southern Railway logos and trademarks. I don't recall the specifics, but as I remember, SRHA could not obtain the "green light" logo because there were still a number of boxcars traveling around with that emblem.

Alan Maples

AMaples@aol.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: