It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Steamtown Comprehensive Interpretative Plan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:34 pm 

The Yahoo Delaware-Lackawanna site has a recent Scranton Times Tribune article about current trackage rights issues for the Steamtown NHS excursions--liability insurance issues.

Reading between the lines, I found Steamtown spokesman Ralph Coury's comments interesting. He mentions the 2004 excursion season's schedule, greatly reduced, as being due in part to the recently completed Comprehensive Interpretative Plan for Steamtown NHS. Anyone seen this? What does it have in store for the future of excursions?

Here's hoping that by the time B&M #3713 returns to steam, visitors will get to see her do more than back onto the turntable, go for a spin, and return to the roundhouse!

fred.gracebailey@earthlink.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown Comprehensive Interpretative Plan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:38 pm 

Does this mean the engines will be fired up and sit around the yard or with the trains still make the short trips? I believe that part of the line is owened by Steam Town but I am not totally sure. Anyone know for sure?
Greg U.

gregudolph@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown Comprehensive Interpretative Plan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:27 pm 

>Do you have a link to the yahoo site I have looked and can't find it? I would like to join to keep up on what is going on down there in Scranton and suronding area.
Thank You
Al

azubal@nycap.rr.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown Comprehensive Interpretative Plan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:04 am 

> Thank You
> Al
I think that either the state or Pa counties own the railroad I think. One other thing to chew on the money for passenger service is becoming available and it won't be long before you see NJ Transit in Scranton. I wish I could give you more detailed information. But dam it I'm on vacation and enjoying a very nice Ommegang Hennipan Belgin syle Ale. The info is good though and I might add so is the Hennipan.

memnon11075@earthlink.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown Comprehensive Interpretative Plan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:57 am 

> Does this mean the engines will be fired up
> and sit around the yard or with the trains
> still make the short trips?

I think we might be getting a little ahead of ourselves worrying too much about the "only in the yard in 2004" scenario. Steamtown has a schedule for 2004 excursions on their Web site, and I am personally confident that the insurance issue will be worked out. The schedule is definately lighter than in past years, but it seems nearly certain to me that trains will run to Carbondale, Tobyhanna, and the Gap in 2004.

I believe that
> part of the line is owened by Steam Town but
> I am not totally sure. Anyone know for sure?
> Greg U.

The only track Steamtown NHS owns is the Scranton yard trackage. All excursions outside the immediate yard limits operate on former D&H or DL&W track owned by the Lackawanna County Railroad Authority, a public agency of Lackawanna County. Delaware-Lackawanna Railroad, a division of Genessee Valley Transportation Co., is the licensed freight operator on both lines, and they provide dispatching services for Steamtown's trains.


eledbetter@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown Comprehensive Interpretative Plan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:24 pm 

Delaware Lackawanna Yahoo site
fred.gracebailey@earthlink.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown Comprehensive Interpretative Plan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:52 pm 

Thank You for the link

azubal@nycap.rr.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: