It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Reader 11
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:05 pm 

> Unknown date, but when they were still
> hauling freight, probably late 1950s, early
> '60s.

I may be wrong (I wasn't there), but I think no. 11 got the large tender rather late in its (Reader) life.

Alan Maples

AMaples@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Additional information
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:51 pm 

> I have a
> 5-evening window to make the change each
> time. I'd have to paint over or grind off
> the existing lettering, then hand-paint the
> lettering. My wife probably wouldn't like
> that much.

James, I've had experience with both vinyl and magnetic temporary lettering.

The temporary magnetic panel is usually pretty noticeable even from a distance. And if you have seen photos of the "Clinchfield" lettering on UP 3985 in 1992, you'll know that the non-magnetic lettering used was pretty noticeable too.

My most successful "temporary" job was to place vinyl over the lettering I wanted to preserve, then paint the whole tender side. That makes the vinyl blend in with existing tender paint. From there letter like you would otherwise, then simply peel the vinyl off at the end of your effort. I've intentionally butchered the photo below to show that, even with lighting that would highlight the edges, the vinyl covering simply isn't visible.

If you're not concerned about saving what's on the tender today, just start with a blank slate.

In your case, rather than painting lettering on, I'd get vinyl lettering cut at a sign company. It comes between two sheets of peel-off paper - peel off the back, line it up, rub it on.

Unless you seal them with laquer, they'll peel off pretty easily at the end of the month.

The C&TS has been using it on their coaches for years, and it's inexpensive. We simply provided a Word document (with the proper font imbedded - look at the "options" box in the "save as" dialog) to a signmaker and returned to pick up the lettering.

JAC


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: