It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2-4-0s
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:41 pm 

It is a rather sad fact that the CP&LE 2-4-0 pictured, Porter "Jenny K", is stored inoperable in the Cedar Point engine house needing basically an entirely new firebox or boiler. BTW, the marker lights are NYCS coach marker lights (initials cast in the base). I really enjoyed running "Jenny" when I worked on the railroad in my college years, and would highly recommend a Porter to any individual or group looking to aquire a "critter" to restore and operate.

It occurs to me that an enterprising person with experience in working on steam locos might aquire one of those 0-4-0's to restore in some form to rent to festivals, fairs, etc. as an attraction - convert an old flat car,or two and you have a ride for the duration of the event. Granted, not as easy to move as a 15" gauge gasoline "Pioneer", but potentially a real draw for a community that has no nearby steam operation. Probably would only make sense for events of at least a couple of weeks. Just a thought. I'll probably hear the full story of the unrealistic nature of this idea from Steam REalist, or someone else like that.

> Also note that some saddletankers can be
> rebuilt into nice looking 2-4-0s, such as
> the narrow gauge example below. As such,
> they are more or less revisionary history,
> but better than scrap and cute besides.


pww57@hotmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Power Brake Rules.......
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:44 pm 

> If one hauls freight in interchange, then
> the applicable sections of the new Part 232
> apply for any crews and equipment involved
> in freight operations.

> Steve

Would you believe that nothing has been said on CSX about scheduling training for engineers on these new regs?

pww57@hotmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: 21st century, preservation and unions.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:26 am 

First of all let's relate this to preservation.
For my living I'm manager of shop and field operations for a industrial Railway switching operation.My name is real, the e-mail is real.
My crew and I have restored 3 coaches for a local preservation group.We also did a historic repaint of B & O 6604 for the state of West, Virginia. Anyone who's seen this unit can atest to my crews work!!!!
I'm currently starting on a project to manufacture street car trucks that are afordable, and appear historicaly correct useing modern and easy to get parts.
My crew also maintains many historic locomotives. a Baldwin, G.E.'s, Alco's and lot's of E.M.D.'s. I have shared and will share any information with anyone in the preservation field.
For"fun", free, and love of history, I'm vice-president(and trustee) of The Lake Shore Railway Assocation. We own and operate 20 miles of The Lorain & West Virginia Railroad.One of my crew just got elected to the board of trustees. All of my crew have given some of their time for my "stupid" love of history.

I'm in a union, my crew is in the same union.Not sure wich one, haven't got a card in 3 years. changed locals 4 times.No votes for anything or anybody, Our contract is expiring soon and the union we belong to wants to have our jobs replaced by people in the same union ( different company)with no experiance in what we do. At this point and time in my life the only thing a union is for is protecting idiots, hurting and insulting people I care about and respect and taking my money for nothing.
This subject is far to deep to go into here, but from where I stand I'm not a big union fan and I am tring to figure out why anyone is using this forum to debate something as off the prevation subject as brakeman dog houses and unions here???????
The way I see it(steping up on a soap box) This is the 21st century. It's time for the tail(the union) to stop tring to wag the dog


irss@eriecoast.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: