It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: The Showalter stuff up for grabs--includes a 2-8-0 *PIC*
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:28 pm 

Folks,

I have been informed by a working partner of Jack & Sally Showalter that their rolling stock is up for disposal.

I think everybody knows of the two well-known CP Pacifics and mix of passenger cars in question stored in Staunton, Va.--or at least everybody in a position to think seriously about them.

What may have escaped everyone's attention is their former Army 2-8-0, #606, now at Goshen, Va. The photo below shows a thoroughly-stripped "basket case," but I have been told that ALL the necessary parts are here or there, in kit form, carefully prepped for reassembly.

If there is anybody interested in further inquiry or information, I can pass on inquiries to the appropriate parties (as if a lot of the people here don't already know how to contact them). The "ballpark" prices I was quoted were realistic but reasonable ,as opposed to some "pie-in-the-sky" rumors I had heard over the years.



Steamloco.info listing for 606
Image
LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Showalter stuff up for grabs--includes a 2
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:41 am 

I have a question about other items in this collection but my e-mails off list have come back undeliverable. Please contact me off list.

rdgoldfede@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Never seen a "cloaked" e-mail address, huh?
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:52 pm 

> I have a question about other items in this
> collection but my e-mails off list have come
> back undeliverable. Please contact me off
> list.

I have done so.

Folks, I put the phrase "NOSPAM" along with two hyphens as my e-mail address because "spambots" roam the Internet looking for ANY e-mail address they can find and adding them to spam lists. I strongly encourage anyone using even this somewhat obscure forum to use any of several similar "ruses":
>type your address as "LNER4472-at-bcpl dot net" or another similar form
>drop the word "NOSPAM in your address, as in the example in my address above; most Internet-savvy users will catch on quickly.

Please note that I am not accusing RyPN of specifically doing anything to give names or addresses to spammers. It's just that, even with well-cloaked addresses, minimal online presence, giving fake addresses to online forms wherever possible, and maintaining two e-mail boxes exclusively for spam or online registrations, I still receive dozens to hundreds of spams a day in my "real" e-mail box. You gotta do what you gotta do. <:-)

We now return you to old-fashioned wheel-on-rail technology..........



LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Never seen a "cloaked" e-mail address, huh?
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:33 am 

> I have done so.

> Folks, I put the phrase "NOSPAM"
> along with two hyphens as my e-mail address
> because "spambots" roam the
> Internet looking for ANY e-mail address they
> can find and adding them to spam lists. I
> strongly encourage anyone using even this
> somewhat obscure forum to use any of several
> similar "ruses":

> Please note that I am not accusing RyPN of
> specifically doing anything to give names or
> addresses to spammers. It's just that, even
> with well-cloaked addresses, minimal online
> presence, giving fake addresses to online
> forms wherever possible, and maintaining two
> e-mail boxes exclusively for spam or online
> registrations, I still receive dozens to
> hundreds of spams a day in my
> "real" e-mail box. You gotta do
> what you gotta do. We now return you to old-fashioned
> wheel-on-rail technology..........
thats why I don't give any address. it helps but I still get some spam. bb


  
 
 Post subject: Unfortunately...........
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:55 pm 

> thats why I don't give any address. it helps
> but I still get some spam. bb

Unfortunately, posting a doubly-anonymous post on a site like this--neither e-mail nor real name--typically degrades the content into "rumor-mill" territory. Nobody, but NOBODY, is likely to weigh such a post objectively unless the poster is willing to stand behind the remarks. There's a reason newspapers trash anonymous "letters to the editor".

We can generally make allowances for an example like the "Steamtowner" above who apparently may have reasons to fear repercussions--s/he may well be biting the hand that feeds him/her. But except for that, if you want to be taken seriously, use a real name and an address, either "cloaked" or a spam dump.

LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: