It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: whistle plans and Baldwin Builders Plates
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:04 pm 

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:52 pm
Posts: 914
Hi,
I'm helping the City of Gainesville GA cosmetically refurbish and repaint their GM 209. As it is not controlled access, I recommended that they do not use a real steam whistle since it would be a likely candidate to be stolen. I'd like to get plans for a whistle and whistle valve so that a wooden facsimalie can be made and placed on the locomotive. A wood replica can be made in the City's shops and replace if needed.
I would also like to put replica builders plates on the locomotive. I have all the info from the cylinder saddle and historical records. Has anyone tried to make a replica of a Baldwin builder's plate?
Thanks
Doug


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Badlwin Builders Plate
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:24 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 2733
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
I know that the Kentucky Railway Museum cast two replica Baldwin plates when they did the cosmetic restoration of the Mammoth Cave Railroad 0-4-2t Baldwin Steam Dummy locomotive a coulpe of years ago. The originals were stolen, and using contruction data, and a plate from a similar era, replicas were cast. You might want to try to contact them.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Replica plates
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:24 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:50 am
Posts: 43
Contact the Strasburg Railroad. Wayne James Products is a foundry in Pa. that supplies them with reproduction plates for their engines. They can be made in brass or aluminum and are reasonably priced and very good. When the Strasburg converted their CNR 2-6-0 back to CN appearance, they had a CNR #89 front number plate cast and had additional ones made up to sell. I bought an aluminum one for about $75. I understand they are doing the same thing this year for their N&W 4-8-0. I believe a brass front plate will run around $200. A Baldwin builders plate would be smaller and probably cheaper to make.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: