It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Central City Steam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:23 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:00 am
Posts: 88
Watched a video recently showing the #71 running in Central City, around 1989 when Cort Hammond had the operation. She sounded great working up the grade; though not shining like the Inyo or anything, she still looked beautiful and worn as many hard-working narrow gauge locomotives were. In tow were two open cars. The combine which it is displayed with (and photographed pulling in the late 80s in a book I have) is also seen at the yard. The tracks were along part of the ROW that Lindsey Ashby's operation used in the 60s and 70s. I don't know much about the line's length, but it looked really neat and very scenic. It would be a fine line to run again; only its been built over so I hear. Too bad; as if it was possible for the GLR Inc. to revive that line it would pose a direct threat to the CHS' deezul-running 'new' Georgetown Loop. European deezuls vs a closer-to-Denver operation with steam?

Anybody know the length of the line when the Ashbys ran it? When Cort Hammond ran it? I was curious as to what the operations were called both times as I have been somewhat confused. I would *like* to do an article on both incarnations of the steam operation in Central City and the current (soon to be 'old') Georgetown Loop. Any information or photographs appreciated; full credit given for photographs...(ed.kelley@discoverlivesteam.com)

Thanks,
Ed Kelley
ON TRACK @ Discoverlivesteam.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: