It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: CP Huntington
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:39 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:35 am
Posts: 8139
Location: Wilton, NY
At its 1950s display site in fromt of the station in Sacramento. Now safely enshrined at the California State RR Museum.

http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?o ... ington.jpg


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CP Huntington
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:41 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:05 am
Posts: 1140
Location: San Francisco
Here is a thought, the California State Railroad Museum's newsletter mentioned this steam engine a year or so ago as a possible candidate for steaming.

Has anyone heard if the appraisal was done? Hydrotest etc?

I think the last time she was steamed was the 1939/1940 Worlds Fair in San Francisco. It would indeed be some accomplishment to see her in steam again!

Ted Miles


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: #223
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:16 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:51 pm
Posts: 2055
Location: Southern California
The PLA and CSRM made a trade that resulted 223 going to the Calfironia State Railroad Museum. I think the PLA got some SP ccommutte cars.

The 223 is now under cover inside the old SP shop building. I saw it earlier this year and it is missing cab, etc. It will probably get a cosmetic restoration some time in the future.

The significance of the 2-6-2T commutter locomotive is that it is one of two remaining engines built at the Sacarmento Shops.

_________________
Brian Norden


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CP Huntington
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:55 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:00 am
Posts: 88
The 233 was a suitable display at Point Molate in the 1970s; there's a picture of it in my article coming up next month on the PLA on my ON TRACK webzine site. When I last saw her, she looked as you describe; no cab, etc. It looked the same in 1994 or 5 when I first went to the Canyon.

As for the two surviving Sacramento Shops engines; I presume you mean of AJ Stevens-design, and Central Pacific-times. The other one being V&T #18 "Dayton" in Carson City. Of course there's still surviving locomotives built in SP times over there; stored right in Brightside near where the 233 was, the 1269 was indeed built by the Sacramento Shops; as was the 1251 which is now in Virginia City; derelect. The strange thing about 1269 is that it only operated for one year on its owners' railroad; for 10+ years it was up at Sacramento. It was running in '91. Now its a mess. I heard that it wasn't too well taken care of over there; if its true, it wouldn't be the first mistreatment of a loaned steamer that I've heard of.

-Ed Kelley


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CP Huntington
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:23 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:51 pm
Posts: 2055
Location: Southern California
Quote:
As for the two surviving Sacramento Shops engines; I presume you mean of AJ Stevens-design, and Central Pacific-times. The other one being V&T #18 "Dayton" in Carson City. Of course there's still surviving locomotives built in SP times over there;


Yes, Ed,

You're right. I was thinking of the engines built during the CP / pre-1900 era.

_________________
Brian Norden


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: