It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: #475 boiler explosion rumor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:41 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:24 pm
Posts: 283
Location: New Jersey
This is what some person posted on another web page about the #475 and why it was being repainted.

Quote:
I was at Strasburg today talking to one of the shop workers about what is happening to engine 475. Currently, it's sitting in the backshop, with new paint on her, and you can see white stars on the runningboard steps. This is beacuse the Strasburg Railroad is selling the 475, and is painting it back to original N&W colors so that the client they are selling the locomotive to will be happy with her appearance. The main reason for the sale is that the 475 suffered a massive boiler failure, resulting in a warped and sagging crown sheet, 17 broken staybolts, and severed flues. This incident occured when the engine was near Esbenshade crossing, en-route to Strasburg. The engine's interior damage is said to be too great for feasible repair, and 475 will remain as a static display under the new ownership. The shop worker also stated that they will not be short power, because 972 is being put on the priority list for completion, and until then, 31 will fill in for 475. Might I also add, that 31 will be removed from stanby service and put into full operation. This is exciting news for all of you who want to catch a glimpse of 31, but then again, saddening for those who are affectionados of 475. Currently, I am unaware of where 475 is going, but was told that the purchaser is located in the midwest.


If that happened there wouldnt be a locomotive left to paint! Where do people come up with this stuff!?

-Eric

_________________
Eric Bolton
Superintendent/Owner
East Tigard & Southern RR Co.


Last edited by Eric B. NJMT on Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #475 boiler explosion
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:37 pm 

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:03 pm
Posts: 143
Location: Wichita, Kansas
It is these type of rumors that cause all kinds of problems for anyone involved in the operation of steam boilers. Would love to know how this started and what they were smoking. No joking aside I am the owner of a 60 hp J.I. Case Steam Tractor that just had a complete ultasound map done to insure its safety as well as the usual visual and cold hydro. I would hope the people at Strasburg will respond to this rumor and put it to rest ASAP.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #475 boiler explosion
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:47 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:24 pm
Posts: 283
Location: New Jersey
I volunteer at a railroad museum and we are restoring a steam engine so I know a bit about boilers. How some one could start that and people could believe it puzzles me. It got put to rest, but not by Strasburg. People who had bin on the photo frieght and who have seen the engine running.

-Eric

_________________
Eric Bolton
Superintendent/Owner
East Tigard & Southern RR Co.


Last edited by Eric B. NJMT on Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #475 boiler ¿explosion?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:05 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:21 pm
Posts: 117
Where do you get off calling this a "boiler explosion" ?

You are irresponsibly furthering the rumermongering.

Show some responsibility and don't make things worse.
Mike


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #475 boiler ¿explosion?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:16 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:19 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Washington, D.C.
Everyone, be easy. Eric posted the thread for the sake of criticising it, not giving it credence, as I think his text makes clear. He wasn't calling anything a boiler explosion, except to point out how ridiculous the original allegation was.

That said, the thread had already been put to rest where it started, and that was probably for the best. The right place to add any additional challenges and critiques is probably at that board, not on this one. Bringing it here risks misunderstanding (as we have seen) and may gave the wretched thing new life.

_________________
Erik Ledbetter
www.steamsafari.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #475 boiler ¿explosion?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:26 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:21 pm
Posts: 117
Eric,
My objection was to the individual posting the subject "boiler explosion" on this form. I made that very clear in my post. By posting the subject "boiler explosion" he did give it credence regardless of what the text stated. I still consider that irresponsible sensationalism which has no place on this forum.
Mike


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #475 boiler explosion
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:32 pm 

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:51 pm
Posts: 4
Location: Leola,PA
I am a fireman at Strasburg Railroad and I was firing 475 today and it has been running off and on over the last months with being down for about 2 weeks for a paint job and front number plate and new headlight placement.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #475 boiler explosion
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:15 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:30 am
Posts: 773
Quote:
If that happened there wouldnt be a locomotive left to paint! Where do people come up with this stuff!?


It must have been one of those 24 hour boiler explosions. They threw 2 aspirin in the tender, put it to bed, and it was fine in the morning. ;)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #475 boiler explosion
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:06 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:45 pm
Posts: 32
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
The quote above is not true. It was one of the users over on railfan.net, "Far_Been"Firman", that spread this rumor, which, again, is not true.

_________________
Mike Huhn
Visit the website of the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #475 boiler explosion
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:08 am
Posts: 30
Location: Eagan, MN
Michael Huhn wrote:
The quote above is not true. It was one of the users over on railfan.net, "Far_Been"Firman", that spread this rumor, which, again, is not true.


At steamlocomotive.info we've deleted a LOT of notes posted under this name (and others, but originating from the same IP address). Finally, it got tedious enough that we simply firewalled his IP so this guy can't even see the webserver.

Regards,
Doug


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #475 boiler explosion rumor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:57 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:24 pm
Posts: 283
Location: New Jersey
Well I am sorry if some people on this web site see what I did as "irresponsible sensationalism". I do not think that it was necessary for that comment to be made. I do not care what some people think of what I posted. It was just simply posted to show how stupid some people can be and how ridicules some of these rumors are. I do not see how I furthered the rumor by posting this because I stated in the original post that it was not true and couldn't be true. I will keep myself under control and stop writing before I post something I shouldn't. I will say that the subject should have been worded in the way that I have worded it now.

-Eric

_________________
Eric Bolton
Superintendent/Owner
East Tigard & Southern RR Co.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #475 boiler explosion rumor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:30 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:19 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Washington, D.C.
Thank you, Eric. I believe rewording the title will eliminate any source of confusion. I appreciate it.

_________________
Erik Ledbetter
www.steamsafari.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: