It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Any 24RL experts out there?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:33 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:54 am
Posts: 1043
Location: NJ
I'm involved in a project that will see some ex-LIRR Alco power cars returned to service as locomotives. I'm presently removing portions of the 24RL that will never be needed again, like suppression and the cab signal interface, with the goal of having a very basic 24 system. (Before anyone asks...we're staying with the 24 because it is how the units came, and frankly, we have skids of the stuff, although we might be short one K-2-A Rotair).

I have several 24 manuals, and everything makes sense except for one component that I haven't been able to identify. There is a filler portion between the relay valve (J-36) and the pipe bracket. The exhaust on the original pipe bracket was connected directly to the independent, the suppression and the D-24 control valve, and there was a double check valve in there as well.

Also, the A&R pipe from the independent, through the Rotair, did not go to the D-24 (port 20) but went to the relay valve directly, as described above. Port 20 on the D-24 has a wasp extruder plate.

My questions are 1.) what was the LIRR and/or GE North Bergen doing, and 2.) if I shorten the studs, mount the J-36 directly to the pipe bracket, and pipe things per the drawing, (ie. 16 to the relay control port, 20 the the D-24) will the system work without that filler and with the J-36?

I know this is tough to describe in words. If anyone has any ideas, either online or by private message, please get in touch with me. I don't think I'll have air on these units anytime soon, but that extra piece has been bugging me for a month now. I'd like to know that this problem is solved so I can move on to the next one.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any 24RL experts out there?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:49 pm 

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 834
Location: Bowling Green, KY
While I obviously can't see exactly what you are refering to, nor do I have my airbrake books handy(about 1000 miles away actually) I have found that if you put something back per the manufacturers drawings one can't go wrong. In fact, since you are removing components from the system to bring it back to a more simplistic design I would strongly recommend plumbing everything in accordance with what the book has laid out for that particular design.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any 24RL experts out there?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:06 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:54 am
Posts: 1043
Location: NJ
Jason, I have every intention of putting things back together per the Westinghouse drawings. My concern is the extra filler piece. (Do I need it or not, and what is it, etc.) My guess is that since these units were used as cab cars, this piece is part of some sort of modification for that purpose.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any 24RL experts out there?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:30 am 

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:30 pm
Posts: 187
Location: NH Shoreline
Obviously off the main subject of this thread, but converting an LIRR power car back into a locomotive caught my attention. What are you using for traction motor blowers on this project?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any 24RL experts out there?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:10 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:54 am
Posts: 1043
Location: NJ
Two units have belt driven blowers salvaged (before my time on this project) from other units, perhaps RS-3s. The other two units will be getting RS-11 blowers, with many other RS-11 components.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any 24RL experts out there?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:33 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Ohio
A 24RL set up for First Service and Pressure Maintaining was the best train brake setup ever, in my opinion. I much prefer it over the 26 brake that is the current "standard" of the industry.

Hope your project is successful.

_________________
Rich Melvin
Retired NKP 765 Engineer


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any 24RL experts out there?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:36 pm 

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 834
Location: Bowling Green, KY
I guess what I was saying is that if per the drawing, for a standard setup, that filler block is not there but all else is the same(such as type of relay valves, etc) then just do away with it and pipe everything accordingly. As I stated before you generally can't go wrong with the print....that is unless one of the valves has been somehow altered internally to "enhance" the function of the system somehow. Not likely though.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any 24RL experts out there?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:13 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:18 am
Posts: 165
Location: B'more MD
I'm on the wrong coast from my manuals. Generally, though, a filler piece on a J-relay usually included a check valve and an inshot valve. I will check the books when I get home towards the end of the week.

G.Payne


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: