It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: New boiler questions and Lap Seam alteration questions??
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:56 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:34 pm
Posts: 966
I enjoy the thread below about re-boilering a loco. This is more than likely going to be more and more common as time goes along, so I feel it is a good thing to discuss. So here are my boiler questions.What kind of problems arise when a operator/owner decides to put a new boiler on? Many older boilers need to be re-engineered for safety factor of 4, so does the new boiler need to be approved by Washington {FRA}? Are they thorough in checking out the new design? I know Texas State RR has had a couple of them built, did they have any problems getting from the "design to the frame"? Or anybody else for that matter?It was mentioned below about modifying a lap seam boiler. I also remember someone contributing a nice couple of drawings of original seam, modified and the standard seam with backing plate. Is this a hard repair/re-engineering job to get ok'd by Washington? I have always wondered why one couldn't alter the original lap seam to a more strong design, but have not heard much about anybody actually doing it. I know in Wi the state regs do not allow for a large barreled lap seam barrel, or they used to not allow them. I don't recall where the FRA is with them. After reading about them letting go, I think I would feel safer with a modified seam myself.I hope I was able to ask these questions somewhat intelligently, I have had a long day. THanks in advance, John Risley.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: