It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: The Texas State Railroad is not Deserving of Public Support
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:24 pm 

In evaluating wheither a project is worthy of public support, the first question to ask is public support being used to provide a good/service that the market cannot provide efficently? If the answer to that question is yes, the next question should be is this the best use of government funds - or can they be used more efficently and effectively elsewhere.

Everything that I have heard about the Texas State Railroad suggests that they are operating a tourist train - not a museum. Tourist trains are clearly in the domain of the free market as their focus is on providing entertainment - not historic preservation or education. Countless operators operate profitably - most notably the Grand Canyon, Great Smoky Mountain Railway and Strasburg are great exaIn evaluating whether a project is worthy of public support, the first question to ask is public support being used to provide a good/service that the market cannot provide efficiently? If the answer to that question is yes, the next question should be is this the best use of government funds - or can they be used more efficiently and effectively elsewhere.

Everything that I have heard about the Texas State Railroad suggests that they are operating a tourist train - not a museum. Tourist trains are clearly in the domain of the free market as their focus is on providing entertainment - not historic preservation or education. Countless operators operate profitably - most notably the Grand Canyon, Great Smoky Mountain Railway and Strasburg are great examples of this. Other operators may use volunteers and/or non-profit status in order to support operations. The Austin Steam Train Assn. is a great example of this.

If the Texas State Railroad were focused on historic preservation or education, I would have no problem supporting continued public support - as these are services that are generally not provided by the private sector. Operating a steam locomotive in itself does not constitute education or historic preservation. Instead, the Texas State Railroad is providing a tourist train - with a higher level of capital investment than exists on most other tourist railroads. As such they should be privatized - and succeed or fail at the behest of market demand.

For the sake of discussion, lets assume for a moment that the public support is justified on the basis of historic preservation and education. The question then becomes - is this the most efficient use of government funds. I would argue no. There are other organizations in Texas (most notably the Galveston Railroad Museum and the Age of Steam Railroad Museum) that have a proven record of providing both historic preservation and education using rail equipment that have carried out their missions with far less support than has ever been given to the Texas State Railroad. A redirection of Texas State Railroad funds toward these organizations would allow the construction of indoor storage facilities necessary if the collections at these museums are to survive into the future – and the construction and support of better educational programs and interpretive exhibits.

If the Texas State Railroad wants to survive as a publicly supported operation, then it should direct its mission toward providing a service that warrants the expenditure of public funds.

Tom Cornillie


Last edited by Tom Cornillie on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Texas State Railroad is not Deserving of Public Supp
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:51 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: Sackets Harbor, NY
Seems to me that both Dave and Tom make a number of valid points above. I'm not familiar enough with the Texas State RR to feel comfortable commenting in detail but what Tom said in particular has the ring of truth to it.
I've long felt that Steamtown could do a much more effective job of its primary mission(preseving living history and being an economic tonic to a depressed area) if the Federal Gov't. would outsource its operation to a private sector operator who would be free of all the bureaucratic restrictions that make it near impossible for the NPS folks to do an effective job of it (i.e. very limited marketing leeway,absolute aversion to liability risk=no runbys,stay in your coach etc.,etc.) and have the Feds provide sufficient annual funding to properly maintain the physical plant ( and any downsteam capital projects=restoring additional equipment) and the private operator be given a modest operating stipend. Using Steamtowns example let's say that the Feds were to contract with the Strasburg RR (just as an example) to be the DO and agreed to pay them an annual operating stipend of $750,000 and further agreed to an annual capital contribution of $1,250,000 to be used exclusively for capital projects(loco. & car restorations, physical plant maintenance etc.) for a total outlay of $2,000,000. Based on the latest #'s I've seen that would "save" the gov't. about $3,000,000/year vs. their current $5,000,000 annual outlay for Steamtown. I'm absolutely confident that the DO would dramatically increase visitorship/ridership(thus helping meet both goals) by using their free market savy, and that in a very few years under this model a number of additional loco's. would be returned to life.
I submit this NOT as a knock against Steamtown but because I truly believe it would be a win/win for all concerned. Perhaps a like arrangement could also work for the Texas State RR?
Respectfully, Ross Rowland


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Texas State Railroad in Trouble
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:52 pm 

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:31 pm
Posts: 295
Location: TEXAS
I don't know why Txhighballer is getting so angry, no one, not me or anyone else here advocates closure, but we have expressed opinion and the facts.

I have seen the original proposal from Ed McLauglin, complete with depot and enginehouse renderings and do you know what it lists as the projects priority? Job creation!

Comparing the TSR to the C&T is like comparing an all original 1930 Pierce Arrow Pheaton to the Caddy Johnny Cash describes in his song "One Piece at a Time." It may be a fun ride, but it isn't a real, genuine historic experience.

The C&T preserves the equipment, aritifacts and railroad that are from a specific time and place-the genuine article. Despite its authenticity, I bet ifyou asked the frolk and politicians in the area why they support the C&T, it would be the economic benifits. The TSR is a tourist train; just how authentic is a Santa Fe Pacific painted red pulling Erie RR Stillwell coaches to the East Texas piney woods?

Would I have allowed someone to pay for new, although unneeded boilers? No, I wouldn't have, I would have placed such resources where really needed. Those concrete bridges still cost money. Taxpayer money. And we have never gotten any of it, and in Texas any stray RR preservation resources were already spoken for by the State's railroad.

Texas is now ruled by real estate developers and soccer moms in the suburbs, and rural projects of any kind are not going to get much support like they used to.

I know that it is sad and frustrating to see people lose their jobs. Last year, when several plants closed in rural Fannin County Texas due in part to Yew Pea's contractor refusing to serve them and 500 folks lost their jobs, did you worry about that?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Texas State Railroad in Trouble
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:31 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:49 am
Posts: 773
Jim:

I am very passionate when it comes to a railroad I cut my teeth on. It would seem that a little bit more information is needed for you and the people reading this forum.
The Texas State Railroad is not a "historical" railroad in that sense. None of the equipment is original to that railroad. The Cumbres and Toltec is historic in that the same locomotives operate over the same trackage they have run on in regular service. The yard in Chama is a wonderful place to visit,as well as the roundhouse. If you will notice,the cars are NOT original,and neither are the facilities in Antonito. They are also owned by government entities,which starve it of capital funding and have done so for quite some time.
Many decisions were made during the inception of the Texas State Railroad which railroaders did not have a part in.i.e. painting of the locomotives and cars.
Texas State Railroad is responsible in economic benefits to the Rusk Palestine area of about $5 million per year, a pretty good amout I would say and carries about 50,000 pasengers per year.
Now to the boilers. I will again state that the boilers were funded through a grant,not a line item in the budget. Trust me when I say that the boilers needed to be replaced,but if you can get the money to replace them,which over the service lives of the locomotives,makes them more cost effective to run? I know you know the answer to that one.
Bridges on the TSRR are numerous and were all old wooden trestles. they needed replacing. Again the goal was to minimize maintenance and make for a hardier design. The bridges were already designed by the Mop,so no engineering costs were added to the cost of construction.
The Texas State Railroad is the flash point of the woefully underfunded state parks system. Two current articles will give you more information about the current state of the parks.I will include those links at the bottom of my post.
Preservation money in any state is hard to come by and the examples of the Railroad Museum in Galveston which survived on the benelevience (sp)of a prominent Galveston family, has changed a few things after a lean period,with more changes to come which are making the museum stronger than it has been for years.
I am not familiar with the situation in Fannin County which you speak of,so I cannot comment on it....I would like to know more information before I do so.
Could a private operator make Texas State Railroad work? Perhaps. Could the railroad survive under the parks department? Not the way things are at the moment.
I know you are a person with a common carrier railroad.Are you familiar with the program that the government will rebate 50% of your track expenses? If so,why are you not taking advantage of it? Is it because it is taxpayer money? Do you support such programs? Would you participate in such a program if you could? What would be your solution to the Texas State Railroad?
What happens if the railroad goes away? What about the equipment? What about the 610? If you have solutions,I'm more than willing to listen and put them through to the people that might be able to act on them.
Here are those links I promised earlier:

http://statesman.com/opinion/content/ed ... _edit.html

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 39788.html

Take a look at them and it will give you an overall picture of the situation which faces the TSRR and the rest of the parks system.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Texas State Railroad is not Deserving of Public Supp
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:19 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 6464
Location: southeastern USA
Tom Cornillie wrote:
Everything that I have heard about the Texas State Railroad suggests that they are operating a tourist train - not a museum. Tourist trains are clearly in the domain of the free market as their focus is on providing entertainment - not historic preservation or education. Countless operators operate profitably - most notably the Grand Canyon, Great Smoky Mountain Railway and Strasburg are great exaIn evaluating whether a project is worthy of public support, the first question to ask is public support being used to provide a good/service that the market cannot provide efficiently? If the answer to that question is yes, the next question should be is this the best use of government funds - or can they be used more efficiently and effectively elsewhere.
Tom Cornillie


Respectfully Tom, I would argue that the public sector engages in many expenditures that do not fall into education or preservation, one of which is economic development, which can range from building roads and infrastructure for industrial parks to tax benefits for industrial location to operating attractions to enhance tourism. The fact that the one we are considering is a railroad doesn't necessarily imply the requirement of historical authenticity, just bringing in many people to ride and spend money in the area.

Smoky Mtn, Grand Canyon and Strasburg are where tourists are going anyhow. If that were the case in Rusk and Palestine, the railroad would have been operated privately for profit from day one. You posit an apples and oranges comparison in that context.

If viewed as an economic development operation rather than a railroad, would you judge it on the basis of education and preservation, were it perhaps a theme park, KIA factory, Nascar Hall of Fame, whatever?

dave

_________________
“God, the beautiful racket of it all: the sighing and hissing, the rattle and clack of the cars over the rails. These were the sounds that made America the greatest country on earth." Jonathan Evison


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Texas State Railroad in Trouble
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:33 pm 

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:31 pm
Posts: 295
Location: TEXAS
I have never, ever advocated shutting down the TSR. I have never even advocated privitising the thing.

But I know that the past attitude was to "get all you can while you can," and they sopped up a lot of resources.

I know the TSR has cried crocodile tears over their inabilaty to advertise, but there are TSR flyers in about every rest stop, tourist info center, travel stop gas station, and any where else such promotions take place from Texarkana to ElPaso, and the anywhere the TDP&W is promoted so is the TSR.

What should be done with the 610 and the 201 if the TSR folds? They should go to T&P country. The ten wheeler spent its entire life running out of Bonham, Texas while owned by T&P, and spent the last years of its working life on the Paris and Mt Pleasant. Anywhere around there would be a good home, and the locals have just bought the old T&P transcon from the UP.

I don't want the TSR to close, but the political reality in Texas is such that I don't know if it can be supported in the manner it has been. My real fear is that the Parks Dept. is acting to run interferance for Dallas on the Lake Fastrill project. If the RR is cut back or eliminated, that ends a huge hurldle for the lake.

It may be the TSR will return to going from Rusk to Maydelle, and in the long run that may make more economic sense.

My 2cents.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Texas State Railroad in Trouble
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:39 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:49 am
Posts: 773
Jim.now let me get this straight..if TSRR shuts down,you would take a perfectly good locomotive..........with a brand new boiler.....and put it on display? Wouldn't that be a classic waste of resourses as well? Everyone is entitled to their opinion,but I am still awaiting your dissertation on the points I raised in my last post. I want to hear your opinion good or bad. If you put it out there,you should expect there to be some response. You have glossed all over it without addressing the issues and the points I have made. This is a place for discussion, and occasionally bitter debate. The goal here is to find a solution for TSRR's situation and possibly formulate a battle plan to save it. That is my agenda in this topic,not to trade broadsides. The floor is open and you may fire when ready.......


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Texas State Railroad in Trouble
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:24 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:19 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Washington, D.C.
Txhighballer wrote:
This is a place for discussion, and occasionally bitter debate.


The first part of this sentence is true, the second represents a misunderstading of the purpose of the Interchange.

Our Guidelines explicitly state "The Interchange's primary purpose is to facilitate the exchange of information, advice, and suggestions, not to serve as a forum for debate."

_________________
Erik Ledbetter
www.steamsafari.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Texas State Railroad is not Deserving of Public Supp
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:58 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm
Posts: 2837
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
co614 wrote:
Using Steamtowns example let's say that the Feds were to contract with the Strasburg RR (just as an example) to be the DO and agreed to pay them an annual operating stipend of $750,000 and further agreed to an annual capital contribution of $1,250,000 to be used exclusively for capital projects(loco. & car restorations, physical plant maintenance etc.) for a total outlay of $2,000,000. Based on the latest #'s I've seen that would "save" the gov't. about $3,000,000/year vs. their current $5,000,000 annual outlay for Steamtown. I'm absolutely confident that the DO would dramatically increase visitorship/ridership(thus helping meet both goals) by using their free market savy, and that in a very few years under this model a number of additional loco's. would be returned to life.


As a government operation, all of Steamtown's finances are public information. I would be really interested to see an article going through their budget and discussing what is good and bad. A lot of complaints about Steamtown appear here. Has anyone actually reviewed their management and budget?

_________________
Steven Harrod
Lektor
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Texas State Railroad is not Deserving of Public Supp
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:24 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: Sackets Harbor, NY
I too would think that it would be very instructive to be a able to see the Steamtown budget in detail. I tried many years ago and gave up. The best I could get at that time without further struggle was a summary amount which as I remember it was approx. $5.7 million(1998). I'd be very interested if you're able to unearth it.
Ross Rowland


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Texas State Railroad in Trouble
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:26 am 

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:31 pm
Posts: 295
Location: TEXAS
Who said anything about display for the 201? The Fannin folks have a depot and a railroad. And I will just bet they would pass the hat enough to build a shed for the 610.

What you don't get is that the Parks Dept. attitude toward the TSR is being dictated by suburban politics and the need for Yuppies to have green lawns in a Texas August.

(Lake Fastrill is a proposed impoundment of the Neches River that has been fastracked by Dallas for water supply. If built it would inundate much of the TSR)

All I have stated is the what may be considered "sins of the past" have provided an excuse unrelated to Lake Fastrill to curtail the railroad's traditional operating pattern in order to facilitate the lake's construction.

I was at a recent, non railroad related political function recently, with ears open and mouth closed, and I am here to tell you that Fastrill is coming sooner that East Texas knows. The US congressman that represents the area (which just "happened"to be jerrymandered to include the Lake Fastrill footprint with a Dallas district) supports the lake, and is working for its construction.

The solution you seek does not exist in a form you and many of us would like it to be. It may well be that a run to Maydelle is the only option other than a static museum. Shorter run=less expense, and, believe it or not, for the avg. tourist, 25 miles of tree farm and half a day is a bit much.

Quit shooting the messenger. Dallas and Lake Fastrill are the culprit, not me.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Texas State Railroad in Trouble
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:31 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:52 pm
Posts: 76
The Texas State Railroad had a problem sometimes called the “two-legged stool.” The railroad gets a small, greatly insufficient amount of revenue from visitors and a large, perhaps over-generous amount from State appropriation. It needed and if not, too late will still need, a couple more legs to stand on.

An active Friends of TSR could solicit tax-exempt donations, which the state cannot. These funds would be free of restrictions, allowing for needed advertising or other non-budget items. Best of all, it would show politicians that there is broad public support for the project.

Second, if it is truly a economic development project, the local community has to throw money in the pot. No one will believe that the local constituency believes in the project unless they put at least a token payment toward its existence – otherwise its just pork from heaven. I don’t know Texas law, but in many states tourist related economic development is funded by a special district that collects a hotel-motel tax. The greater the distance of the tourist attraction from metro areas, the more the likelihood that visitors will need an overnight stay. I hate tax increases as much as the next person, but there is a certain logic to such a tax. The local populous might support creation of such an authority and a related tax if they think that they aren’t the people paying the freight. Again, local support translates into political support in Austin.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: