It is currently Sun Oct 04, 2026 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: NP 1354
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:46 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:35 am
Posts: 8139
Location: Wilton, NY
Again, no date or place:

http://www.brasslocomotive.com/images/t ... R-1354.jpg


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NP 1354
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:57 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6487
Wasn't some railroad museum trying to restore one of these surviving S-4 class NP Ten-Wheelers? Sure is a nice looking locomotive!

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NP 1354
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:49 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:50 am
Posts: 399
Les,

Go to the flimies. There is an article on this subject. The engine is 1364 in Toppenish WA.

Say Hi to Fred for me.

JD Johnson, Morehead and North Fork Railroad Historian


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NP 1354
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:14 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6487
JD -

Thanks for the heads up! And it also seems as if the museum there in Toppenish has also picked up Northern Pacific 4-6-2 #2152! From what I got out of the story in Flimsies however, it seems as if the museum has only a limited space to run either engine in the future.

BTW, I will say hello to Fred for you. He and I spent part of last Saturday up on the roof of our NKP wood tool car working on stabilizing it.

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NP 1354 questions
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:41 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:34 pm
Posts: 966
I too have always liked the S-4's. They obviously filled the nitch like the C&NW's R-1 4-6-0s did. I have never seen an NP S-4 in person, are they similar in weight and traction as the C&NW R-1s? The C&NW R-1 #175 up near Hancock, Mi has a tender that looks like it might of come off a NP S4, never asked Clint where the tender came from or off of. Cheers, John.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NP 1354 questions
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:06 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 6487
John -

Here's the comparison:

R1 S4

Weight 84.25 tons 97.4 tons

WOD 68.25 tons 73 tons

Drivers 63" 63"

Cylinders 21 x 26 21 x 30

Tractive Effort 30,900 35,700

(This information from J. David Conrad's STEAM books.)

I read somewhere that C&NW 4-6-0 #175 DOES have a NP tender now, but not sure what class engine it came off of. I know that the NP S-4's served mostly out on the west end of the NP system. So much so that many Northern Pacific personnel out east were doubtful there even WAS such a class!

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NP 1354 questions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:44 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:34 pm
Posts: 966
Thanks Les. It is a pretty heavy duty tender on the #175 and it is indeed a NP tank. Someone went to a bit of trouble to make it fit the #175, but I don't think it ever was used by the looks of it, not that this matters to anybody.

I sent you a person email. If you want some more info I maybe able to line you up with a good source. 1st class fellow too. John


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: