It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Strasburg 90 model
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:16 pm 

For those who'd like a momento of northern Colorado or Strasburg, PA, there's a rare HO model of No. 90 for sale on e-Bay. Nice looking, don't know how it runs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3169623587&category=484
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: This is a test...........
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:02 am 

What change does this model need to accurately reflect/portray #90 at the Strasburg today? (Linn and Kurt are disqualified from entering!) No, we don't mean paint or the number on the number plate!


LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: This is a test...........
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:51 am 

> What change does this model need to
> accurately reflect/portray #90 at the
> Strasburg today? (Linn and Kurt are
> disqualified from entering!) No, we don't
> mean paint or the number on the number
> plate!

A shortened smokebox.


captbuck@comcast.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: This is a test...........
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:49 am 

> A shortened smokebox.
and the eccentrics need to be set so that the eccentric will trail the main crank pin.

jsfrost@mtu.edu


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg 90 model *PIC*
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:02 am 

I'm not great at details, but couldn't this model represent AT&N 401, now stored at Mid-Continent also?

AT&N #401
Image


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strasburg 90 model
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:56 am 

Yes, these were "stock model" decapods built by Baldwin. With work, the model could be made to represent the others. Even the Santa Fe had a few, though they looked a bit different by the end of their service life. Remembering the 90 from my youth in Colorado, it is my favorite. The model is pretty close to what is seen at Strasburg today. I think different pilot wheels and a different headlight would just about do it. The model has the shorter pre-WWII smokebox, before the GWR began burning lignite. If I recall, it was sold as representing No. 90 circa-1943.

> I'm not great at details, but couldn't this
> model represent AT&N 401, now stored at
> Mid-Continent also?


90 in 1937
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: 1958
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:04 am 

The 90 I remember, at Eaton, in 1958. It would have been nice to keep it in Colorado, but it would probably be rusting in a park instead of the magnificent machine that Strasburg has maintained so well..

90 in 1958
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: No one passed yet............ <:-)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:31 am 

Okay, we now have the model pose and an identical angle with the GWR 1958 photo...........

What;s the big difference?

LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: well maybe...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:05 pm 

> Okay, we now have the model pose and an
> identical angle with the GWR 1958
> photo...........

> What;s the big difference?

Sandy,

I'll bet that in 1958 90 didn't sport a Reading 6-chime whistle!

Regards,
Jim Robinson


  
 
 Post subject: Neophyte question
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:21 pm 

I'm not presuming to enter the contest and I'm certainly not a modeler, but the first thing I noticed is the distance between the engine and tender. I assume that a serious modeler would shorten the drawbar here for a more realistic appearance?

Scott

shawsinoly@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: This is a test...........
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:44 pm 

> What change does this model need to
> accurately reflect/portray #90 at the
> Strasburg today? (Linn and Kurt are
> disqualified from entering!) No, we don't
> mean paint or the number on the number
> plate!

Well let's see

wrong lead wheels
rear sand dome and steam dome are swapped on the model
wrong headlight
no rear headlight
rear tender ladder in wrong place
tender tank fill hole too narrow
drawbar a tad long

pretty model otherwise

starspanglers@frontiernet.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1958
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:29 pm 

Amen to that! The 90 is the engine I rode behind when I rode the Strasburg RR and the only one of her wheel type I have seen in steam.

Ted Miles

ted_miles@nps.gov


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Neophyte question
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:15 pm 

As someone who dabbles in modeling, the answer is yes. It all depends on the radius. A lot of people still have 18" and 22" radius layouts, which are really too small for prototypical operation, thus the long drawbar between the locomotive and tender.

david.wilkins@bardstown.com


  
 
 Post subject: BZZZZZZZ--time's up............
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:17 pm 

> What change does this model need to
> accurately reflect/portray #90 at the
> Strasburg today? (Linn and Kurt are
> disqualified from entering!) No, we don't
> mean paint or the number on the number
> plate!

Okay, I had it pointed out to me that most contestants will misunderstand Warren's wrong answer and think I'm looking for something else.

The model portrays 90 as she arrived at the GWRR. Later in her life, the smokebox was EXTENDED, not shortened. She runs in this configuration today, and if you compare the two photos as suggested, the extension is obvious. I believe the extension had to do with the GWRR's desire to burn a lower grade of coal (lignite?).

LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: BZZZZZZZ--time's up............
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:10 pm 

> Okay, I had it pointed out to me that most
> contestants will misunderstand Warren's
> wrong answer and think I'm looking for
> something else.
> The model portrays 90 as she arrived at the
> GWRR. Later in her life, the smokebox was
> EXTENDED, not shortened. She runs in this
> configuration today

Ummm... NOW I'm really confused... 90 has been running with a shortened smokebox (extension removed or some other surgery) for quite a while (maybe 10 years?), so the model actually "matches" the current prototype in terms of the smokebox.

I believe the extension had to do
> with the GWRR's desire to burn a lower grade
> of coal (lignite?).

Yes, burning lignite during WWII was the reason for the smokebox modifications on the GWR locomotives. 2-8-0's 51, 60, and 75 retain their extensions.

Regards,
Jim Robinson


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: