It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Texas and Pacific #316 returns in Steam!!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:27 am 

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:48 am
Posts: 1676
Location: Byers, Colorado
Mr. Lisowski,

It's been a long time since I've been to the good old TSRR, but so far as I know, it's still a state park. In my time it was our duty as Park Rangers to show folks around. If the shop is locked up, look for somebody in uniform, and talk to them. During normal business hours, there ought to be somebody in the depot building at Rusk, possibly also Palestine. Calling ahead will help, too, at least give it a try. (Sorry, I don't have their number...)

The regular park employees are pretty much regular folks, who sympathise with the park visitors and everyday citizens who pay for it all. They'll help you if they can.

Enjoy Your Visit to Dogwood Country,
Sammy KIng

_________________
I am just an old man...
who wants to fix up an old locomotive.

Sammy King


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Texas and Pacific #316 returns in Steam!!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:58 pm 

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:48 am
Posts: 1676
Location: Byers, Colorado
You might want to check the shop building in Palestine, too. If all else fails, it might be open.

And you better allow PLENTY of time for that drive from Houston to DFW, expect delays at the last minute as you get closer to the airport. I've never driven in the DFW area at any time of day without catching a traffic jam somewhere on the freeway system. Expect speed traps behind every bush and billboard, too, that's how they make up for not having state income tax in Texas.

_________________
I am just an old man...
who wants to fix up an old locomotive.

Sammy King


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Texas and Pacific #316 returns in Steam!!!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:21 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:49 am
Posts: 773
The shop staff is friendly, but stop by the office and ask for Earl Knoob. When I worked there, I had never seen a visiitor turned away, even on operating days when whole familes would be looking for the train to ride, or after we got back and a curious family would follow the engine back to the shops.....i remember one brave little girl came to the shop with her parents and asked me "Is this is where the choo- choos sleep"?


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: