It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Saddletanker of my Dreams
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:56 am 

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:48 am
Posts: 1676
Location: Byers, Colorado
Thank you very much for posting these photos, I saw these threads when I was getting suckered into adopting #6 earlier this year, and I ripped off small copies of your images to study.

Hope it's OK, and thanks again, you played a part in this, too.

_________________
I am just an old man...
who wants to fix up an old locomotive.

Sammy King


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Saddletanker of my Dreams
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:47 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:28 pm
Posts: 486
Sammy, Dylan, and others-the discussion of the lokie in Simsbury spurred my interest, because I'm from that area. The last person to serve as full-time station agent at the depot in Simsbury (which later became One Way Fare) passed away from cancer about 2 months ago. I had the privilege of knowing him, interviewing him (on video) in One Way Fare-a video I plan to provide to the local historical society. He was a true gentleman, nice guy, and yes, a preservationist as well.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Saddletanker of my Dreams
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:53 pm 

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:57 am
Posts: 2599
Location: Faulkland, Delaware
Sammy my friend. I think you have one of the sweetest engines anyone could ever want to own. I wish you were not so far away.

_________________
Tom Gears
Wilmington, DE

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Saddletanker of my Dreams
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:20 pm 

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:48 am
Posts: 1676
Location: Byers, Colorado
At the risk of overstating the obvious: In reality, #6 owns ME.

Anytime in the next five or ten years, I'll be able to use your help, it's not like anybody needs to rush right out here to see her before I get finished !!! Thanks for what you've already done, Tommy.

She's been here five days already, and all I've done is think about what I need to get off my ass and DO. Starting Tuesday....

Take Care & WORK SAFE

_________________
I am just an old man...
who wants to fix up an old locomotive.

Sammy King


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Saddletanker of my Dreams
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:05 pm 

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:23 am
Posts: 462
Location: Sheboygan County, Wisconsin
One thing that you could start with Sammy, if it hasn't been done already, is to stamp all of the washout plugs to identify them, pull them and give the boiler a thorough wash from the front of the barrel, across the crown and into all the bottom corners. See what you come up with as sediment and then what is still left. This should give you a small idea as to the general condition of the water sides.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Saddletanker of my Dreams
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:12 pm 

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:48 am
Posts: 1676
Location: Byers, Colorado
I'm starting with cleaning out the smokebox, since she's already parked on the best spot for it. Also it seems like there ought to be at least one washout plug in the front tube sheet, since the outside of the boiler barrel is covered by the saddletank.

Those 1100 highway miles shook a lot of scale loose, and what I've seen so far looks harmless, with very little flake rust. I should be able to get her all washed out before the bad weather hits.

You shoulda been here the other day !!!

_________________
I am just an old man...
who wants to fix up an old locomotive.

Sammy King


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: