It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Army 0-6-0s
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:53 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:30 am
Posts: 1263
Location: Eagan, MN
Actually nothing. Apparently I'm sufficiently brain damaged I can't tell the difference between Rollag and Madison. My apologies.

Doug


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MT 66
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:44 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:21 am
Posts: 201
Location: Tidewater, VA
bobyar2001 wrote:
Just a photo of Midland Terminal 66 at the Midland tank in 1949, not long before the RR was abandoned. This is one of the Lima engines, noted by the single big sand dome. The MT would have made a good tourist RR had it survived.


Where was Midland Terminal ROW located?

Thanks,

Ed

_________________
When you ride a stallion, you never ride alone.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Army 0-6-0s
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:29 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:54 am
Posts: 1043
Location: NJ
Col. Hill, as mentioned by HVP and GWL, did the boiler calculations (Form 4?, did I remember that correctly?) for Sam Freeman's 148 at Black River. This was in the late 1960s.

When reading the article on six-coupled power, I thought of the trips that Mainline Steam Foundation ran with the 148 and the 972 in 1975. Mid-sized power that could go almost anywhere; many of the other steam trips at the time were being run with 2-8-4s and 4-8-4s, although the CPR G-5s had been used, too.

And I wish I'd seen or been on the (too) few trips that Strasburg ran with 1223 and 7002. Smaller power, double-headed, offers quite a bit of flexibility. Bigger is not always better-


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MT 66
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:00 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:19 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Washington, D.C.
Ed Fritz wrote:
Where was Midland Terminal ROW located?


Colorado Springs up the Front Range to the Cripple Creek mining district via Ute Pass. A standard-gauge variation on the classic Colorado mining road theme.

_________________
Erik Ledbetter
www.steamsafari.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MT 66
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:29 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:21 am
Posts: 201
Location: Tidewater, VA
That's what I thought, except I know it as "Colorado Midland" and I understand a lot of it was abandoned in the late teens. I didn't realize that a segment had lasted so late. The section between Leadville and Basalt, on the much discussed Aspen Branch, is probably the most scenic piece of ROW in the world.

Thanks,

Ed

_________________
When you ride a stallion, you never ride alone.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 21st Century Steam
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:03 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 6464
Location: southeastern USA
[quote="Jim Warsher"]The feature article in Trains regarding the six-coupled steam engines is going to be just the thing to get people to thinking and working. I hope it signifies another whole new and healthy direction for the magazine's editorial objectives.

Agreed - but then I am all for anything that encourages people to start thinking. Makes for a nice change.......

Finally got a copy (hidden beneath aircraft and motorcycle mags at the Savannah B&N) and was very impressed - as I knew I would be due to Erik's craftsmanship. He even made my quotes sound good. Jimbo seems to be making a much needed improvement in the content overall as well. Might have to subscribe again.

On to the subject - I'd like to insert a caveat enlarging on the mention that the choice of motive power was dependent on conditions and service required and a healthy plug for smaller 8 coupled power as well. 8 coupled has superior adhesion, and needen't be larger, while it treads more lightly. This may not matter in many venues, but for some more vertical railroads it may make a critical difference - the low drivered mikado loggers in the Pacific Northwest and the Baldwin low drivered outside framed narrow gage consolidations can take more into places 6 coupled can't manage, and over more precarious rail. There was a reason the Colorado 3 footers in the 1880's and '90's decided on 2-8-0's.

Maybe this can be Erik's next article - low drivered loggers and industrial goats? I'll buy two copies.......

dave

_________________
“God, the beautiful racket of it all: the sighing and hissing, the rattle and clack of the cars over the rails. These were the sounds that made America the greatest country on earth." Jonathan Evison


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 21st Century Steam
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:45 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:19 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Washington, D.C.
Dave wrote:
On to the subject - I'd like to insert a caveat enlarging on the mention that the choice of motive power was dependent on conditions and service required and a healthy plug for smaller 8 coupled power as well. 8 coupled has superior adhesion, and needen't be larger, while it treads more lightly. This may not matter in many venues, but for some more vertical railroads it may make a critical difference - the low drivered mikado loggers in the Pacific Northwest and the Baldwin low drivered outside framed narrow gage consolidations can take more into places 6 coupled can't manage, and over more precarious rail. There was a reason the Colorado 3 footers in the 1880's and '90's decided on 2-8-0's.


Cheerfuly acknowledged!

To some extent, the six-coupled concept is an oversimplifaction. Concentraing on the smaller six-drivered engines was a pithy way to invoke the qualities I thought were important for an engine that would be economically viable in modern tourist service.

What I actually meant is "engines that can make money in tourist service with 250-ton trains at 25mph and less--moderate-sized engines with 45 to 60-inch drivers, TE around 22,000-30,000lbs, and reasonable-sized fireboxes." Unfortunately, that doesn't make much of a pitch for a magazine article. Just think of a Mogul, 0-6-0, or 2-6-2, on the other hand, and you instantly see in your mind's eye what I was talking about.

With 2-8-0s or 4-6-2s, there's a lot more variation--from locs similar to what I mean on the small end, to behemoths much larger than most tourist roads need on the other. It all depends on the locomotive. Small, narrow-firebox 8-coupled jobs like NH&I's No. 40 have all the positive qualities I was focusing on for the service I was describing. Some smaller Pacifics fit the bill as well--Linn Moedinger mentioned that he thought the CP G-5 4-6-2 design was probably almost the ideal locomotive on paper for the somewhat heavier trains and more intensive service he has to run today.

I'd be the first to admit that it doesn't boil down to a formula quite as rigid as the article would suggest.

_________________
Erik Ledbetter
www.steamsafari.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: