| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Swamp Rabbit Railroad https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10229 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Ed Kelley [ Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:22 am ] |
| Post subject: | Swamp Rabbit Railroad |
Anybody heard of a Swamp Rabbit Railroad in the Carolinas? I have a postcard showing a diamond-stacked engine (a fake stack obviously) but have no idea what the engine is or anything about the railroad. Anybody know more about this line? Thanks, Ed Kelley ed.kelley@discoverlivesteam.com |
|
| Author: | dave [ Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:49 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Swamp Rabbit Railroad |
If memory serves, no doubt Jim Wrinn can be more specific, this early tourist line ran with an ex Cliffisde RR Vulcan built 2-6-2 now rusting at Stone Mountain. Of course, I could be confused - there were many tourist lines that had half-lives back in the '60s. I believe the line was on a bit of old logging or branchline in South Carolina. dave irondave@bellsouth.net |
|
| Author: | jimwrinn [ Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:23 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Swamp Rabbit Railroad |
Dave, You're right on target about the Swamp Rabbit. It ran at the very northern end of the Greenville & Northern at Cleveland, S.C., part of an amuseument park type complex with ex-Cliffside 2-6-2 110, now at Stone Mountain, suffed and mounted. I've seen an article on the Swamp Rabbit by William S. Cannon (later the Clinchfield's Public Relations Director during 4-6-0 No. 1's ramblings 1968-1979), who was an engineer there and is retired college professor today. The line was operational in the early 60s, just after the Cliffside quit steam. And yes, it would be a perfect engine for the yard shuffle at Spencer...Just show me the $. Jim http://nctrans.org Wrinnbo@aol.com |
|
| Author: | Matt Conrad [ Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Swamp Rabbit Railroad |
> Dave, You're right on target about the Swamp > Rabbit. It ran at the very northern end of > the Greenville & Northern at Cleveland, > S.C., part of an amuseument park type > complex with ex-Cliffside 2-6-2 110, now at > Stone Mountain, suffed and mounted. I've > seen an article on the Swamp Rabbit by > William S. Cannon (later the Clinchfield's > Public Relations Director during 4-6-0 No. > 1's ramblings 1968-1979), who was an > engineer there and is retired college > professor today. The line was operational in > the early 60s, just after the Cliffside quit > steam. And yes, it would be a perfect engine > for the yard shuffle at Spencer...Just show > me the $. Jim I believe the cars at the Handy Dandy RR in Denton, NC were originally converted by/for the Swamp Rabbit. They were originally SAL 5200-series cabooses. The South Carolina Railroad Museum mconrad@msmgmt.com |
|
| Author: | Ed Kelley [ Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Swamp Rabbit Railroad *PIC* |
I've linked a postcard view of the Swamp Rabbit. It's a nice color view that I got in a package with some other postcards. Previously I had not heard of this operation. -Ed Kelley Swamp Rabbit Postcard ed.kelley@discoverlivesteam.com |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|