Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

New to Philadelphia Area
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10630
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Joshua K. Blay [ Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:42 am ]
Post subject:  New to Philadelphia Area

I like the new Interchange format, its good to be back. I have accepted a position in the Philadelphia area, and hope to move in by the first or second week of September. Just wondering what opportunities there are for volunteering with tourist railways/museums, what model RR clubs (I'm into HO and two rail o) there are in the area, etc . I know the SRC, the RRMPA, and the W&W are in the area.

Thanks!

Joshua K. Blay

Author:  Erik Ledbetter [ Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:29 am ]
Post subject:  Can't help with Philly, but come to Maryland

Joshua, I can't help you with Philly, but if you have time after you get settled in, come down to DC and I'll take you on a "Birthplace of American Railroading" tour around Maryland.

Author:  Joshua K. Blay [ Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New to Philadelphia Area

Many thanks Erik. I will keep your offer in mind.

Joshua

Author:  Kevin Gillespie [ Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:00 am ]
Post subject:  B&O Museum

Joshua,

Once the B&O Museum reopens in November, I will be glad to give you a tour. I know that Eric is equally or better qualified that I am but I would enjoy meeting you.

Also, while in the Philadelphia area, check out the New Hope & Ivyland for possible opportunities.

Kevin

Author:  Erik Ledbetter [ Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:40 am ]
Post subject:  False modesty

Kevin is hiding his light under a bushel. He's been an active B&O Museum tour guide and docent for many years; I quit volunteering there nearly a decade ago. You couldn't have a better host. But maybe all three of us can get together--I was thinking of starting at the B&O Museum and the exploring out the Old Main Line.

Author:  Steve Singer [ Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New to Philadelphia Area

Welcome to Philly. What part of the area? Wou might want to look into the New Hope & Ivyland steam operation. Run a nice 2-8-0 and have been restoring a Mexican 4-8-4.

Author:  Joshua K. Blay [ Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New to Philadelphia Area

Thank you all to have replied thus far. The three person tour sounds like a good idea.

Employment will be in Exton, but I am still in the midst of apartment research.

JKB

Author:  robertjohndavis [ Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New to Philadelphia Area

JKB,

You are about 1:45 from me. Let me know when you want to go exploring NJ or the Allentown area. There are loads of good museums, and there's always those RYPN-lurking boys in Allentown and Kempton to visit.

Rob

Author:  Phil Mulligan [ Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New to Philadelphia Area

Exton's not far from RRMPA and FRM has a very active volunteer base. The Schuylkill Valley Model RR Club is in Phoenixville, also not far from Exton. I don't know any principals there, but Club Show Time is coming up and you can take a look then.

My Museum, Electric City, is in Scranton, but we do restoration work in Buckingham, Bucks County, still not close to Exton but the Turnpike shortens week-end travel time.

Author:  Phil Mulligan [ Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New to Philadelphia Area

As you can see from another post on this forum, the WK&S is also active. The Hawk Mountain Chapter NHRS is in that area too. Plenty of things to do and Amtrak wants you to take pictures of their trains.

Author:  Joshua K. Blay [ Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New to Philadelphia Area

Many thanks again to all who responded. I will be working and living in Exton. I'll be moving tomorrow and will be without regular access to internet for about two weeks. Thanks!

PS- Phil- you serious on your comment about photographing Amtrak?

Joshua

Author:  Michael Huhn [ Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New to Philadelphia Area

Exton eh? If you want to get to Center City, you can take the SEPTA R5 Paoli/Downingtown train.

Author:  Phil Mulligan [ Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New to Philadelphia Area

Yeh - they had a photo contest and invited people to take pix. The new Exton station is an Amtrak station used by both Amtrak and SEPTA. The usual precautions apply - stay in the area open to the public and don't go on the RR.

Author:  Brandon Shoemaker [ Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New to Philadelphia Area

In the Reading area there is the Reading Society of Model Engineers, they have a 15" gauge railroad, a 7 1/4"/4 3/4" gauge railroad under construction, a very large 2 rail O scale layout, an O scale tinplate layout and an HO modular layout. They have lots to offer, check out their website at www.rsme.org. They are open this Sunday September 5, only the 15" gauge will be operating though and then they have an open house on October 23 and 24, where everything is running.

Brandon

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/