| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Lynchburg Kanawah update https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10633 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Erik Ledbetter [ Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:54 am ] |
| Post subject: | Lynchburg Kanawah update |
Well, it looks like life is not going to allow me to finish the Lynchburg Kanawah brief in the organized way I had hoped--just too busy. So, here's a less formal update. The Kiwanis have retained Chris McBride, shop supervisor at Virginia Museum of Transportation, to do a comsmetic repaint on the 2760. Ths is great news--Chris is one of the finest rolling stock painters I have ever seen. If you've seen the photographs of the glistening 1218 in the Claytor Pavilion at VMT, you're looking at Chris's work. Chris has sandblasted and primed the tender, and will be painting it soon. The Kiwanis chose the tender as an easy way to give a visible sign of the progress and the difference the project will make. I am not sure whether Chris will immediately move on to the locomotive or whether there will be a puase for additional fundraising. My father-in-law, Warren Willis, has graciously agreed to be our eyes on the scene. He is going of to chat with Chris form time to time and will send us imanges. Here's his pic of the tender, sandblasted and primed: |
|
| Author: | Richard Glueck [ Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:26 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Lynchburg Kanawah update |
Erik, this is the best single piece of news in static steam preservation this year, in my opinion. I'm wondering if a good report on the condition of the tender, cab, smokebox, and boiler is possible? From what I saw, and granted, it was three years ago, the locomotive was an eyesore, but not in irrepairable shape. Keep the updates coming, please. |
|
| Author: | Dave Lewandoski [ Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:04 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Lynchburg Kanawah update |
Glad to se something is being done to help the old girl out. Please keep us updated(especially with pics when possible) Wish I was closer so I could help. I've been trying to find out the true ownership on the 2700 so maybe i could help with that engine. But so far it's like reading the National Enquire as to getting a straight answer. |
|
| Author: | rypnorg [ Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: |
Richard Glueck wrote: I'm wondering if a good report on the condition of the tender, cab, smokebox, and boiler is possible?
That's what I wanted to do, but I simply do not have time to complete writing it up right now. The one sentence answer is "The engine is not in as bad shape as she looked from a distance, the cab is in fabulous shape, and a cosmetic restoration is eminently feasible." I did not attempt to assess the possibilities for an operating restoration 1. because I am not qualified to, and 2. because anyway I think the last thing we need is another operating Van Sweringen 2-8-4 to compete with the existing excellent groups with operable or nealy operable 2-8-4s. I do not feel that all engines can or should be operable, and this is one I think is fine as a non-operator. I'll try to get some of it out as posts on this thread as soon as I can but I cannot guarantee a date. Other business for RyPN comes first, as does a lot of other stuff... |
|
| Author: | Erik Ledbetter [ Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:31 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: |
Dave Lewandoski wrote: Wish I was closer so I could help.
Well, they do need money. Donations can be sent to The Kiwanis Club of Lynchburg PO Box 604 Lynchburg, VA 24505 Attn: Linda Campbell, Treas. Make a note that this is for Engine 2760 in Riverside Park. |
|
| Author: | Gary Gray [ Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:09 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Lynchburg Kanawah update |
Richard, 2760 is in very restorable condition, it looks a lot worse than it really is. However, it is a terrible candidate for an operational restoration because of it's location. It was placed in the park over 40 years ago with a long temporary track off the Southern main line. There is now a forest that would have to be removed to put the track back in, not to mention cutting the NS Washington-Atlanta main line. It would be equally impossible to truck the engine out of the park, it is at the bottom of a steep grade. When I was on the VMT Board several years back, we looked at aquiring 2760. The moving costs in 1993 were estimated at over $100,000. Chris will do a fine job on the engine, his workmanship is second to none. I know, I helped him on 1218. |
|
| Author: | Scott [ Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:42 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Lynchburg coach |
Has the group decided what they're going to do with the coach? |
|
| Author: | Erik Ledbetter [ Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:58 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Yes SR, and Yes Six Axles |
Yes, it's a heavyweight SR day coach, and yes, six axle trucks. Don't know the class or the roster number. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|