Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Railstar roster photo
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10635
Page 1 of 1

Author:  bobyar2001 [ Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Railstar roster photo

Composite photo of the roster of Railstar, apparent successful bidder to operate the Georgetown Loop.

http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/sh ... all&page=1

Author:  Joshua K. Blay [ Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:03 pm ]
Post subject:  North Pole?

Does anyone have details on roster for the North Pole operation? Haven't been there in years. Any work being done on the 2-6-2 at Rome yet, or relaying track?

Thanks!

Joshua

Author:  ontracked [ Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:07 am ]
Post subject:  Erie Canal Village

I made up that roster photo from various photos. North Pole's operation used to use the Crown which Ron Trottier now owns. They're still there and run an Allan Herschell steam profile engine (http://www.northpoleny.com/).

As for the 2-6-2...the one there in the 70s I understand is severely damaged by poor operating standards and needs a new frame put under it! However, they now have a Byron Railroad 2-6-2 built from a Davenport. Its sister engine is out there somewhere too. It has a better chance of running, since it was running on a Washington estate railroad in the 80s, perhaps part of the 90s.

The railroad is in operation, has been for 2 seasons or so. They started with a fake steam Chance Rides CP Huntington and now I was told are running the Davenport 0-4-0T which ran on William Willock's estate railroad in Syosset here in Long Island, New York. It was part of the Frontier Town collection up in Hudson, New York. There was 1/2 mile of track 2 years ago, that may have been extended. You can go up to Rome and ride it now...reading descriptions the track's ties are hidden beneath the dirt. It may be the original track, I don't know. We may be seeing some photos posted of it soon.

The Crown I think is close to operational condition, if not already.

-Ed Kelley
The Guide to Narrow Gauge Railroads
ON TRACK with Ed Kelley @ DiscoverLiveSteam.com[/i]

Author:  jd johnson [ Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Railstar's equipment for Georgetown Loop?

I looked over the add and am wondering where Railstar will get the 36" gauge equipment to operate the Loop.

In any case, I am glad that someone has a chance to continue this great operation.

Best Wishes to all involved.


JD

Author:  Jim_Poston [ Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:56 am ]
Post subject:  What Equipment?

Indeed, *if* Railstar can get the equipment.

In talking with railroaders - experienced narrow-gauge railroaders - their 'grapevine' says little, if any, operable or reasonably restorable steam locomotives are available. Certainly, the Colorado Historical Society is trying to restore Engine #9 (currently dismantled in Strasburg, CO, and has lap-seam boiler construction), and has taken aim on Colorado & Northwestern #30 (aka #74) now on display in Boulder.

The problem is, neither of the locomotives has the power to pull a nine-car train, the present consist on today's Loop operations. Three cars might be the maximum, and if so, how would any operator reach the 115,000 passenger estimate stated in CHS's own RFP?

Too many serious questions with too many vague answers. I'm concerned for the future of the Loop - regardless of operator - and for the citizens of Clear Creek County who depend on the Railroad's $2-million (estimated) benefit to the county.

-Jim

Author:  Roger Mitchell [ Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Railstar roster photo

As far as a K37 on the loop, I think that the curves are mutch too sharp. A K27 might make it though.

Author:  ontracked [ Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Railstar roster photo

Plus there's only 2 K-27s. One is on historic D&RGW territory (C&TS of course, #463) and no way is it leaving there. The #464 has been down for 10 years at the Huckleberry Railroad in Michigan and they've been working on it. It's not leaving either...it was owned by Knotts Berry Farm for awhile and I think it even ran there. I've never seen photos, but it was listed on the roster in the 1970s. The #71 is the best bet for any new operator...it was the last to run, its an 1897 vintage, and its a 2-8-0. Power and $ would be the main issues. But we don't want the CHS doing anything but eating humble pie when they realize their mistakes, and the Ashbys are long gone with their locomotives and rolling stock too.

The new bridge, being a 1980s-vintage replica, I can imagine is pretty sturdy. But the whole line is winding, so a big Mikado would probably not make it. You never know, I don't have the numbers.

-Ed Kelley

Author:  Tom Richards [ Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Railstar roster photo

The 491 is a narrow gauge engine, but, as you said, it doesn't matter.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/