Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Camas-Prairie Railroad questions
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10668
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Brian894x4 [ Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Camas-Prairie Railroad questions

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a little confused. I'm heading to Idaho to explore abandoned railroad stuff and I plan to visit the CPR Grangeville line.

My questions are this.

I had thought the Grangeville was abandoned? If so, do all the trestles and tunnels still exist along with any track. Now, I hear that in fact the Grangeville line was just bought out by another RR and is still operational? True?

Was the Camas-Prairie sold out and the name changed? If so, what is it called now and what track was abandoned and what track still remains active?

Thanks for any info.

Author:  ge44tonner [ Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Camas Prairie

The president of the 'Watco' group of shortlines, a fellow named Rick Webb, happened to be speaking at a meeting at my plaee of Work last Thursday. He says that Watco is now operating the Camas Prairie, I believe he said under the roadname 'Idaho Eastern'?
Dan

Author:  Just a fan [ Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Camas-Prairie Railroad questions

The railroad, now Watco owned is called the Great Northwest Railroad. This page will give you more info: http://www.watcocompanies.com/Railroads/gnr/grnw.htm

Author:  mikefrommontana [ Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Camas-Prairie Railroad questions

I suspect you are talking about the 4th (?) sub of the Camas Prairie, the "Grangeville Line". Of that the last ten miles from Cottonwood to Grangeville has had the rail lifted. The remainder of the line was purchased by a pair of individuals (whose names escape me) who hope to restore service.
A good resource site to answer all of your questions can be found on the Camas Prairie discussion group within Yahoogroups.

Michael Seitz
Missoula MT

Author:  mjanssen [ Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Camas Prairie Railroad

As I understand it, the CPR is currently held by two organizations. Watco owns all former lines of the CPR except the Second Sub, which is owned by the BG&CM Railroad. Watco has abandoned the Jaypee Branch, and possibly others by now. The Second Sub, which was approved for abandonment, was bought by the BG&CM before the sale to Watco. The BG&CM plans to operate the line, but has not operated a train over it to date.

Great Northwest Railroad (WATCO)
[/url]http://www.watcocompanies.com/Railroads/gnr/gnr_map.htm

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/