Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Seeking general roundhouse information
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10690
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Erik Ledbetter [ Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Scattered sources

Start with the NRHS database of extant roundhouses:

http://www.nrhs.com/historic_structures/roundhouses/rh_data.htm

It isn't comprehensive but it's a very good start.

I don't know of any single book on roundhouses and roundhouse work--it's a subject begging for an author. I wish I had time to take it on.

You can get gleanings from a lot of various sources--enginemen's reminiscences like Orr's "Set Up Running," and oral histories like "Railroad Ties: Industry and Culture in Hagerstown, Maryland," Susan Levitas, Editor.

Good photographs of roundhouse work are avaialble in the Library of Congress' FSA/OWI photo series: see


http://memory.loc.gov/

and search for "Roundhouse" in all collections.

Good luck. You'll have to hunt for gleanings where you can get them I'm afraid.

Author:  bobyar2001 [ Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:46 pm ]
Post subject:  C&NW roundhouse book

My memory is faulty, but look at the website for the Chicago & North Western Historical Society. I believe they have a book of memories written by a former C&NW machinist. Seems I've seen one similar concerning a CB&Q roundhouse also, perhaps Aurora, Illinois. Look at the website for the CB&QHS. Good to hear someone is standing up for Frankfort. When I touted its merits as a potential museum on the NKP discussion group, all but a couple of responders told me I was crazy.

Author:  mp189 [ Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Seeking general roundhouse information

I am sorry to report that my Crestline Roundhouse web site (crestline.pennsyrr.com) is temorarily off line due to a change of location. It will be back on line soon, I will post a notice of the new URL when it is back up. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. In the meantime, please visit the CRPS site at http://crestlineroundhouse.org/.

Bill Ayers

Author:  Bob Kutella [ Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:33 am ]
Post subject:  Frankfort Roundhouse

Seems to me that was a Nickle Plate facility. If so you should be able to research a lot of historical data from the Nickle Plate Historical Society.

Noted modeler Tony Koester regularly writes for Model Railroader and is an NKP authority. Also look in the trains magazine index and search out one or more than one detailed articles on Frankfort IN which have been published in recent years. They included maps, layout of all related trackage and functions, and good pics.

Bob Kutella

Author:  mp189 [ Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Crestline Roundhouse site back on line

The Crestline Engine Facility web site has moved to a new location. It is now up and running at: <http://crestlineprr.com>.

Bill Ayers

Author:  Mikechoochoo [ Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:05 pm ]
Post subject:  round house work

I would suggest old rail fan magazines, some had interviews in them. Magazines from the Unions, the Railway Gazzete (avalable on microfilm).
and also some books like Western Yesterdays vol XI by Forest Crossen.
I've seen articles about some aspects of roundhouse work in all of them.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/