| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Hawaiian Philippine Company Locomotives arrive in California https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10705 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | survivingworldsteam [ Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:06 am ] |
| Post subject: | Hawaiian Philippine Company Locomotives arrive in California |
This is from the PhilippineRailways Group on Yahoo: On Tuesday, two 3 foot gauge steam locomotives from the Hawaiian Philippine (sugar) Company were unloaded from a ship at the port of Oakland California and loaded on to a pair of flat bed trucks. They were both outside frame tender locomotives and appeared to be 0-6-0's. I found that they are headed for Brook Rother's shop in Georgetown, CA. These locomotives are to be used with the Kauai Kilohana tourist 3' operation in Hawaii, which he is involved with.Are from the island of Negros in the Phillipines and are part of a group offered for sale in April 2003 and recently sold. Michael Huggins |
|
| Author: | ontracked [ Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Hawaiian Philippine Company Locomotives arrive in Califo |
Yep, this is good news isn't it. I posted where they were heading on NGdiscussion. Here's some articles on the Kauai Kilohana for those interested. The third locomotive I believe may be the Old Vegas engine that Brook Rother owns, but one article says the locomotive is located in Louisiana, not from Lousiana, so I'm not sure. This engine was from Godchaux, which WAS in Louisiana.. Also on Kauai, Grove Farm has three operable steamers, 30" gauge, and some track with plans for more. They were restored by Matt Austin, a Hawaiian boiler and steam restoration specialist. I've linked his page as well, good stuff. The "Klaus Spreckes" in Maui, ie Kahului Railroad #1, is also pictured and restored to operation. Those familiar with the Redwood Valley Railway #7 and the GSP&P #13, the 5" scale 15" gauge beauties out in California...he built the boilers for those too. About a year or two ago he sent me a photo of the "Kaipu" 0-6-2T at Grove Farm with the two 5" scale boilers right next to it. Neat stuff. Anyways, here's the articles. By the way, I believe that John Fehsenfeld is again this year running his 12" gauge steam railroad in City Park in Georgetown, which is where Brook Rother's shop is. He has a 14" gauge backyard railroad too, and as of last year the 12" gauge was operating on seasonal weekends, but I don't know what its status is. First off, Brook Rother's website: http://www.fortunecity.com/oasis/yellowstone/935/ The Kauai Kilohana article: http://starbulletin.com/2004/03/17/business/story5.html Also of interest, circa 1999: http://www.mtdemocrat.com/news/loco012199.shtml The other article which mentioned Rother directly...I can not find the link to anymore. Oh well, it WAS there. -Ed Kelley |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|