Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Where/what is this Alco?
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10713
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Mike [ Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Where/what is this Alco?

It's a PA. The same photo appears on the rumour web discussion Yahoo group. According to the caption it was taken by Micheal Pierce in Brazil.
To be exact I believe it's a PA4. I thought I read something a while back about one of them being restored, but recent rumours suggest that they were scrapped not long ago. One was reportedly at the bottom of a canyon. I'm guessing that one is still there, if it ever was.
mw

Author:  scottychaos [ Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Where/what is this Alco?

the latest "railfan intelligence" indicates that there are 6 surviving Alco PAs in the world.
of course the famous D&H foursome.
2 of which are being restored in Oregon.
and the other 2 on static display in Mexico, and in generally good cosmetic condition.

also, there are the three Brazilian 5'-3" gauge PAs.
1 of the brazilian PAs is on display, repainted and looking good!
one is a rusting hulk in a field,
and the third is supposidely scrapped.
I imagine the photo in the first post is of the rusting hulk..
there is also a rumour of a PB in a gorge (brazil), but that is unconfirmed..

So that makes one PA that will soon be FULLY restored to operating condition!
4 PAs (that are or will be) on static display, in generally good condition.
(1 in US (smithsonian) 2 in mexico, 1 in brazil)
and the one rusted out shell in brazil.

more recent discussion:
http://64.78.30.219/forums/viewtopic.php?t=658


Scot

Author:  EDM [ Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Where/what is this Alco?

The only four PA-4s were the D&H quartet, two of which are in Mexico and the two in Oregon. It is iffy as to whether there really was a PA-3 model, at least from some of the reading I've done. The Brazilian units are PA-2, spec. DL304D, per Kirkland's book.

Author:  bobyar2001 [ Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:43 pm ]
Post subject:  World locomotive in Greece

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/gr/die ... 160001.jpg

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/