Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Recent Shot of SOO 2719
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10740
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Joshua K. Blay [ Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:56 am ]
Post subject:  Recent Shot of SOO 2719

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=76058

Are the Montana plans still a go? What's the latest on 1003?

Joshua

Author:  mikefrommontana [ Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:16 am ]
Post subject:  Recent Shot of SOO 2719

There's no news at our end (Montana). I thought the engine was already out here and stuffed away inside the Talgo shops at Livingston. It looks like a transport (cost) issue if nothing else.
Perhaps somebody out there inside the owners group or the leasing group would care to comment--it would be neat to see the engine out here.

Michael Seitz
Missoula MT

Author:  rjenkins [ Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Recent Shot of SOO 2719

That has got to be the ugliest streamlining job I've ever seen!

Author:  Tom Cornillie [ Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Recent Shot of SOO 2719

The 2719 was restored to service with grants from the State of Wisconsin and state sponsored ISTEA grants for the expressed purpose of having the locomotive acting as Wisconsin tourist attraction and an ambassador for the state on out-of-state trips. Bringing it to Montana and significantly modifying it to operate there goes against the spirit and letter of this support. I think a much better place to see it operate would be either on the Wisconsin Great Northern, which operates on the former Chicago North Western from Spooner, WI or on the Minnesota Transportation Museum’s line from Osecola, WI, which operates over a former Soo Line Branch. In any case, I think it could damage the credibility of railroad preservationists in the eyes of both private and public benefactors nationwide if the locomotive leaves the state.

Unfortunately my contacts in Altoona / Eau Claire have not been very good at returning my phone calls or e-mails – so I do not have any current information on the 2719.

Author:  Dave Albright [ Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Recent Shot of SOO 2719

rjenkins wrote:
That has got to be the ugliest streamlining job I've ever seen!

I was thinking along the same lines. What's up with the garbage bag?

Author:  Scott [ Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Uses of public grant funds

Tom:

I get the gist of your post and can agree with some of it. A few thoughts come to mind:

1. Don't the typical restrictions on uses of objects restored with grant funds expire after a time? If not, I would think that some people or organizations would be reluctant to have their hands so tightly tied.

2. In light of the above, wasn't the initial move (funded by the grant funds) from the park in Eau Claire in 1993? I could be mistaken (over 50). That would be over ten years ago.

3. Any modifications (coal to oil) could be reversed (as has been done) and be a part of the lease contract between the owners and operators.

4. It seems that it's better to have it run in Montana than rust in Wisconsin.
Maybe the same lease contract could have it return to Wisconsin every five years or so.

Just my $.02.

Author:  Railbreaker [ Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Status of 1003

The Soo 1003 is still on display at the Hartford Automobile Museum in Hartford, WI. It has recieved some repairs to the fire box earlier this year. I have not heard of any definite plans for running it this year however.

Ed

Author:  steamguru [ Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Recent Shot of SOO 2719

no doubt it is one of the worst i've seen...but it keeps some moisture out of the lagging under the jacket!
sg

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/