| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Second call for a Preservationists Voice MEC 470 https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10743 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Richard Glueck [ Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:43 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Second call for a Preservationists Voice MEC 470 |
I am posting this once more in hopes that railroad preservationists will email Mayor LePage of Waterville, Maine, with an endorsement of sheltering MEC Pacific #470, long neglected in a public park. My original notice with the Mayor's email address is listed below. My friends, I have feeling that this will be our last and best hope to get her under cover and out of the weather, if not the vandals. If you are willing to voice your endorsement of saving this beautiful, but heavily vandalized and weathered passenger engine, please make it known now. The City Council will be discussing it with me and several other members of this group on Sept. 07, 2004, at 7pm. The City Council meets on the third floor of the old Sterns Building, in downtown Waterville. Original message: In response to the package of information I mailed to the Mayor of Waterville, Maine, discussion of what to do with the static display of Pacific #470 has been place on the City Council Agenda, for September 07, 2004, at 7PM. It is an open meeting and I will be discussing the locomotive proposals with the Council. If you can attend, please do so, otherwise you can email your views to Mayor Paul LePage at mayor@waterville-me.gov . I think the Council needs to know that the 470 needs cover, that it is an irreplaceable treasure of historic value, and that a positive solution is called for. In short,the package of proposals offered three positive choices; a large railroad museum building be built around the locomotive, to become the focus of an interpretive center; an fence enclosed weather shed, to house the engine for cosmetic restoration and prevent further vandalism; moving the locomotive to a museum where it can be better cared for or possibly restored for operation in the future. More important than any of these single choices is to voice your commitment towards railroad preservation and the need to secure this locomotive before it is lost to the ravages of weather and vandals. I want to thank all of you in advance for doing what you can to show that the 470 has friends. RIchard Glueck |
|
| Author: | Justin Franz [ Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:00 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Second call for a Preservationists Voice MEC 470 |
I've E-mailed a few days ago, I hope it works. Please if you can't go to the meeting please e-mail, every bit helps. I'm unable to go to the meeting thought. But like Mr. Glueck say's its a classic locomotive and this could be the last chance. -Justin Franz |
|
| Author: | Wooly [ Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:06 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Second call for a Preservationists Voice MEC 470 |
I sent the mayor my .02 worth the first time you asked........Wooly |
|
| Author: | Stephen Hussar [ Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:18 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Second call for a Preservationists Voice MEC 470 |
This is a beautiful locomotive. Kudos, Richard -for making something happen!
|
|
| Author: | survivingworldsteam [ Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Second call for a Preservationists Voice MEC 470 |
I just sent one myself; and BBC'ed you, Richard. -James Hefner Hebrews 10:20a Surviving World Steam Project |
|
| Author: | Erik Ledbetter [ Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:37 am ] |
| Post subject: | Help the poor 470 out |
I too sent an e-mail this morning. C'mon gang, let's help Richard out. 470 is a beauty, and sadly neglected--the least we can do is write an e-mail. |
|
| Author: | Richard Glueck [ Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:58 am ] |
| Post subject: | A BIG thank you to all! |
You guys are the heart and soul of railroad preservation, and I thank you all. The images were a really important part of showing why 470 needs al the friends she can get. I will let you know what can be done after the meeting. I know that funding is going to be the looming issue in this rehabilitation. Anyone who has had success in seeking outside funding for similar projects, please contact let so we can put together a "short list" of possible granting resources. glueck@maine.edu or rglueck@orono-ms.u87.k12.maine.us |
|
| Author: | Dave Lewandoski [ Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:33 am ] |
| Post subject: | Main Central 4701 |
I just sent the Mayor an email. Hope they help the old girl out. |
|
| Author: | Mike LaBouliere [ Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Grants |
Try applying to either Amherst Railway Society or Trains Magazine. Both give out railway preservation grants. |
|
| Author: | Richard Glueck [ Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Second call for a Preservationists Voice MEC 470 |
Thank you for those suggestions. I will keep them in mind during the Tuesday night presentation. RDG |
|
| Author: | doowoppie [ Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | sent my 2 cents too |
Richard I emailed the mayor too. Keep up the good work Andrew Martin |
|
| Author: | Kevin Gillespie [ Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:36 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Second call for a Preservationists Voice MEC 470 |
I just sent my Email to Mayor LePage. |
|
| Author: | Ken Jones [ Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:25 pm ] |
| Post subject: | my 2 cents worth |
Well, i sent my opinion in....Even in Canada, we have the same problem. In FOrt Erie, CNR 4-8-4 Northern #6218 was retired operable. Almost 30 years of harsh Fort Erie winters, along with lack of preventive maintenance has taken it's toll. 6218 is just like it's sister engines, 6213 in Guelph, and 6200 in Ottawa. All of which are in a bad state of decay. Even a simple roof overhead would have helped to slow some of the deterioration. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|