It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Scattered sources
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:40 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:19 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Washington, D.C.
Start with the NRHS database of extant roundhouses:

http://www.nrhs.com/historic_structures/roundhouses/rh_data.htm

It isn't comprehensive but it's a very good start.

I don't know of any single book on roundhouses and roundhouse work--it's a subject begging for an author. I wish I had time to take it on.

You can get gleanings from a lot of various sources--enginemen's reminiscences like Orr's "Set Up Running," and oral histories like "Railroad Ties: Industry and Culture in Hagerstown, Maryland," Susan Levitas, Editor.

Good photographs of roundhouse work are avaialble in the Library of Congress' FSA/OWI photo series: see


http://memory.loc.gov/

and search for "Roundhouse" in all collections.

Good luck. You'll have to hunt for gleanings where you can get them I'm afraid.

_________________
Erik Ledbetter
www.steamsafari.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: C&NW roundhouse book
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:46 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:35 am
Posts: 8139
Location: Wilton, NY
My memory is faulty, but look at the website for the Chicago & North Western Historical Society. I believe they have a book of memories written by a former C&NW machinist. Seems I've seen one similar concerning a CB&Q roundhouse also, perhaps Aurora, Illinois. Look at the website for the CB&QHS. Good to hear someone is standing up for Frankfort. When I touted its merits as a potential museum on the NKP discussion group, all but a couple of responders told me I was crazy.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seeking general roundhouse information
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:58 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:04 am
Posts: 6
Location: Iowa
I am sorry to report that my Crestline Roundhouse web site (crestline.pennsyrr.com) is temorarily off line due to a change of location. It will be back on line soon, I will post a notice of the new URL when it is back up. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. In the meantime, please visit the CRPS site at http://crestlineroundhouse.org/.

Bill Ayers


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Frankfort Roundhouse
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:33 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:15 am
Posts: 718
Location: Illinois
Seems to me that was a Nickle Plate facility. If so you should be able to research a lot of historical data from the Nickle Plate Historical Society.

Noted modeler Tony Koester regularly writes for Model Railroader and is an NKP authority. Also look in the trains magazine index and search out one or more than one detailed articles on Frankfort IN which have been published in recent years. They included maps, layout of all related trackage and functions, and good pics.

Bob Kutella


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Crestline Roundhouse site back on line
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:41 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:04 am
Posts: 6
Location: Iowa
The Crestline Engine Facility web site has moved to a new location. It is now up and running at: <http://crestlineprr.com>.

Bill Ayers


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: round house work
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:05 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:10 pm
Posts: 237
I would suggest old rail fan magazines, some had interviews in them. Magazines from the Unions, the Railway Gazzete (avalable on microfilm).
and also some books like Western Yesterdays vol XI by Forest Crossen.
I've seen articles about some aspects of roundhouse work in all of them.

_________________
M. Nix


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: