Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Paying respects to the St. J and more scrapping
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10811
Page 1 of 1

Author:  robertjohndavis [ Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:53 am ]
Post subject:  Paying respects to the St. J and more scrapping

I will write up a full account with pictures, but just wanted to share that I had a little time last week to pay respects to the doomed St. J &LC in Vermont.

I stopped by the wonderful Danville depot, now a recycling center. The scrappers have not gotten that far yet. What a beautiful railroad this was. Hope it looks as good on a snowmobile.

East of St. J, the Maine Central lies dormant, but is now under STB petition for scrapping, even though there is interest in using it to reach potential shippers in Gilman, VT. Vermont Railway is reportedly interested in this section of line, so hopefully there will be a silver lining.

I found some nice surprises, like a wood NYC caboose that had escaped my radar. Full details on what I found at Conway and Clark's to follow.

Rob Davis

Author:  Phil Mulligan [ Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying respects to the St. J and more scrapping

Ironic that as you post this, there's a flimsies that a St. J. caboose at Steamtown caught fire probably when somebody on the ramp to the Mall tossed a cigarette overboard.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/