| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| CP Huntington https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10831 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | bobyar2001 [ Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:39 pm ] |
| Post subject: | CP Huntington |
At its 1950s display site in fromt of the station in Sacramento. Now safely enshrined at the California State RR Museum. http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?o ... ington.jpg |
|
| Author: | Ted Miles [ Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:41 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: CP Huntington |
Here is a thought, the California State Railroad Museum's newsletter mentioned this steam engine a year or so ago as a possible candidate for steaming. Has anyone heard if the appraisal was done? Hydrotest etc? I think the last time she was steamed was the 1939/1940 Worlds Fair in San Francisco. It would indeed be some accomplishment to see her in steam again! Ted Miles |
|
| Author: | Brian Norden [ Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:16 am ] |
| Post subject: | #223 |
The PLA and CSRM made a trade that resulted 223 going to the Calfironia State Railroad Museum. I think the PLA got some SP ccommutte cars. The 223 is now under cover inside the old SP shop building. I saw it earlier this year and it is missing cab, etc. It will probably get a cosmetic restoration some time in the future. The significance of the 2-6-2T commutter locomotive is that it is one of two remaining engines built at the Sacarmento Shops. |
|
| Author: | ontracked [ Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:55 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: CP Huntington |
The 233 was a suitable display at Point Molate in the 1970s; there's a picture of it in my article coming up next month on the PLA on my ON TRACK webzine site. When I last saw her, she looked as you describe; no cab, etc. It looked the same in 1994 or 5 when I first went to the Canyon. As for the two surviving Sacramento Shops engines; I presume you mean of AJ Stevens-design, and Central Pacific-times. The other one being V&T #18 "Dayton" in Carson City. Of course there's still surviving locomotives built in SP times over there; stored right in Brightside near where the 233 was, the 1269 was indeed built by the Sacramento Shops; as was the 1251 which is now in Virginia City; derelect. The strange thing about 1269 is that it only operated for one year on its owners' railroad; for 10+ years it was up at Sacramento. It was running in '91. Now its a mess. I heard that it wasn't too well taken care of over there; if its true, it wouldn't be the first mistreatment of a loaned steamer that I've heard of. -Ed Kelley |
|
| Author: | Brian Norden [ Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:23 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: CP Huntington |
Quote: As for the two surviving Sacramento Shops engines; I presume you mean of AJ Stevens-design, and Central Pacific-times. The other one being V&T #18 "Dayton" in Carson City. Of course there's still surviving locomotives built in SP times over there;
Yes, Ed, You're right. I was thinking of the engines built during the CP / pre-1900 era. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|