| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Central City Steam https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10859 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | ontracked [ Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:23 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Central City Steam |
Watched a video recently showing the #71 running in Central City, around 1989 when Cort Hammond had the operation. She sounded great working up the grade; though not shining like the Inyo or anything, she still looked beautiful and worn as many hard-working narrow gauge locomotives were. In tow were two open cars. The combine which it is displayed with (and photographed pulling in the late 80s in a book I have) is also seen at the yard. The tracks were along part of the ROW that Lindsey Ashby's operation used in the 60s and 70s. I don't know much about the line's length, but it looked really neat and very scenic. It would be a fine line to run again; only its been built over so I hear. Too bad; as if it was possible for the GLR Inc. to revive that line it would pose a direct threat to the CHS' deezul-running 'new' Georgetown Loop. European deezuls vs a closer-to-Denver operation with steam? Anybody know the length of the line when the Ashbys ran it? When Cort Hammond ran it? I was curious as to what the operations were called both times as I have been somewhat confused. I would *like* to do an article on both incarnations of the steam operation in Central City and the current (soon to be 'old') Georgetown Loop. Any information or photographs appreciated; full credit given for photographs...(ed.kelley@discoverlivesteam.com) Thanks, Ed Kelley ON TRACK @ Discoverlivesteam.com |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|