Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Steam Research Round 2...
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10882
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Tim Botti [ Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Steam Research, Round 2...

Hey everyone,

In the ever-expanding attempt to gain information for my steam engineering study (which is gaining momentum, 3 people have approached me about helping out on it here at Pitt), I'm searching for some more good places to study steam locomotion. Any good steam theory books out there? My thermodynamic systems textbook is surprisingly helpful, but not exactly what I need. Also, has anyone seen a copy of Wardale's "The Red Devil" in print recently?

Any other suggestions or guidance, as always, will be gratefully heeded.

As always, thanks to everyone. Your knowledge and helpfulness is beyond compare. Amazing that we have a place like rypn where some of the best in the business routinely check in.

Thanks!

Author:  whodom [ Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam Research, Round 2...

Tim,

Rob Dickinson, a reputable book dealer in the UK, has The Red Devil on sale right now. See http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/javatour/books/clearance.htm for more info. I've purchased from Rob before and he's good to deal with. I believe Rob now has a PayPal account which makes purchasing a little easier.

Another good source of steam technical books (also in the UK) is Camden Miniature Steam Services, http://www.camdenmin.co.uk/. They reprinted Chapelon's La Locomotive a Vapeur a few years ago and they recently reprinted Steam Locomotive Design: Data and Formulae by Phillipson (1936), a British book. This looks like a great book- I should be publishing a review on my site sometime soon (caveat- I did receive this one for free).

Good Luck,
Hugh

Author:  Kelly Anderson [ Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:09 pm ]
Post subject:  .

.

Author:  Tim Botti [ Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam Research, Round 2...

Thanks Hugh and Kelly!

Author:  Steam Fan [ Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam Research, Round 2...

Tim,
You can purchase a copy of the Red Devil from Goodheart Productions the video guy. You can find his ad in most railfan magazines or I am sure on the internet as well. He also has the Chapoleon book as well
R. Beck

Author:  Tim Botti [ Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam Research, Round 2...

Awesome Ryan, thanks.

Did you come down for the recent OC excursion? How'd everything go?

Author:  Fitz [ Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Practical Info

Tim, I don't know where to find a copy, but if you can locate "Basic Steam Locomotive Maintenance" by D.C. Buell, it was written for trainmen in the early days of steam and covers firing, boilers, injectors, valves, valve gear, valve settings and superheaters. Very interesting technical info.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/