It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 10 years with the 261
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:49 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:57 am
Posts: 21
When I first saw the 261 ten years ago today, I became an instant steam buff. That was the day when Gary Revier, candidate for Congress in the 2nd Congressional district of Minnesota, Gov. Arne Carlson, Lieutenant Gov. Joan Benson, and other republicans, sponsered a whistle stop tour from Olivia to the Twin Cities. Because I was student, I got a free train ride from Glencoe to Chanhassen.
Before that, I only had a slight interest in railroading, but I never really gave much thought to steam locomotives. I guess I never knew that any locomotive that big existed anymore, much less in operating condition.
After that day, everything changed: my interest in railroads grew stronger and I also acquired a new interest for all types of steam engines, especially steam locomotives.
The thing that first impressed me the most was how enormous the 261 looked.
For the past 10 years, I've ridden on most of the steam train excursions here in Minnesota, including the 3985 and the 2816.

Is there anyone else who might have had a similar experience; suddenly becoming interested in steam engines at first site?

Robert

www.261.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Instantly hooked or "love at first sight"
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:13 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:35 pm
Posts: 351
Location: Pacific Northwest
Of course, I'll bet you get lots of response. For me, it was the 4449 in the Bicentennial livery pulling (eastbound) into Spokane, WA in the fall of '75.
I also marveled at the sheer size of the wheels, etc. I heard the whistle first of course and the sound was so distinctive that six years later when I heard it in Salem, Oregon, I ran the three blocks to the tracks to see the same locomotive (now in Daylight colors) southbound to California. I was such a novice that I wasn't sure it was the same locomotive. Hooked again.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: