| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Sunken G.N. Loco https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10985 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Mikechoochoo [ Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:33 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Sunken G.N. Loco |
There is said to be a Great Northern locomotive sunk in a lake in Minnesota. The loco went off a trestle crossing the corner of a small lake circa 1905-1910. The locals know the location well, at the time an area man dived down and got the bell and it is well known that he had it for years. The loco is said to have sunk into the muddy bottom. A lot of the old G.N. files are here in Minnesota, any idea where to look for info on this accident or on the loco being written off as a total loss. There's a lot of files so which ones do I look in. I've been to the spot, has anyone got a magnomenter? P.S. if it's there it would be a major job to get it out, and while a group might get custody of it, the State of Minnesota would own it. (Minnesota owns whats in its lakes) |
|
| Author: | bobyar2001 [ Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:55 am ] |
| Post subject: | Mud Lake? |
Are you sure it wasn't a Minneapolis & St. Louis engine? There is supposedly one that fell off a trestle and sunk into the muddy bottom of a lake just west of the Twin Cities. I think it is Mud Lake. Somewhere, I have a small book on the subject, with charts and drawings, quite well written. |
|
| Author: | teqdiver [ Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Sunken G.N. Loco |
Let me know if you need a hand with the diving. I would be willing to come out for a couple of days to help you look once a positive location has been identified. I can be contacted at teqdiver@yahoo.com. Ryan Parkevich |
|
| Author: | Mikechoochoo [ Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:52 pm ] |
| Post subject: | sunken loco |
I know within 50 feet of where it's supposed to lay. It's about 30 miles from St Cloud on the Lake Wobegon trail. You have to bike or hike about 1 1/2 miles, no public access except from the trail. The bridge it fell off is maybe 150 feet long. The water under the bridge is real shallow 3 to 4 feet deep but 10 foot away it drops off and thats where the loco lays. Whether any of the loco still sticks out of the muddy bottom, or if there's fill on top of it is anybody's guess. If anybody wants to dive I'll take you or give you directions. Easy to find with a good map. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|