Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Canadian National 6043
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11132
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Jason Whiteley [ Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Canadian National 6043

I was just doing a search on the web and came across a site describing ex CN Mountain 6043 as being purchased by a company in Nova Scotia called "Scotia Tours" and restored running excursions starting back in 1998. Every other site I've seen still has 6043 in Assiniboine park in Winnipeg, Manitoba (in rather rough shape). Can anyone confirm its current location and what ever happened to Scotia Tours?

Thanks.

Author:  bobyar2001 [ Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canadian National 6043

Just a photo of it at Saskatoon, in May 1957:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cn/cn-s6043ajg.jpg

Author:  Les Beckman [ Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canadian National 6043/photographer

Bob:

I might be wrong here, but I think that CN 4-8-2 #6043 made the last scheduled run of a Canadian National steam locomotive (perhaps in Winnipeg?) Maybe somebody here can confirm or refute that.

BTW, does anyone know if photographer Roy F. Wake is still around?

Thanks.

Les

Author:  Jason Whiteley [ Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canadian National 6043/photographer

You're right Les. 6043 made the last regular CNR run hauled by steam on 25 April 1960 with train no. 67 from The Pas to Winnipeg.

Author:  Les Beckman [ Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canadian National 6043/photographer

Jason:

Thanks! Good to know that my memory doesn't fail me all of the time at least.

Les

Author:  Les Beckman [ Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canadian National 6043/photographer

One other question. That seems like an awful stubby tender for a 4-8-2. Anyone know the reason? I'm sure Winnipeg must have had a long turntable. Was there a short turntable at The Pas, or some other place that 6043 might have regularly seen service to?

Just curious.

Les

Author:  Richard Glueck [ Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canadian National 6043/photographer

I immediatly went on a search for additional photos of her. She isn't a "Bullet Nose Betty", is she? For a locomotive of her historical influence, being the last to haul a scheduled train, I'd say she's badly neglected and needs an emergency protection plan put into place.

Author:  Les Beckman [ Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canadian National 6043/photographer

She is NOT a Bullet Nose Betty. I believe those were number 6060-6069, but someone from Canada will have to confirm that.

Les

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/