| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Trail bombing https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11264 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | bobyar2001 [ Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:30 am ] |
| Post subject: | Trail bombing |
I know some of us have our issues with Rails-to-Trails, but this may be a bit extreme: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,808725 |
|
| Author: | Gavin Hamilton [ Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:07 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Trail bombing |
The USAF has a slightly unfortunate reputation for own goals in some circles.... The Royal Air Force is not immune however - someone managed to drop an F4's overload tanks on a hotel car park in Tyndrum (obligatory rail content - this hamlet has two railway stations "Upper" on the West Highland (Glasgow to Fort William) line and the "Lower" on the Oban line) G |
|
| Author: | p51 [ Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:43 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Trail bombing |
Geez, I'm not a big fan of the rails to trails program either, but this is a little too much. If I'd been the hiker, I'd have carted it off as a "war trophy" and let it be done at that. Nothing unsual there. I used to be an Army Ordnance Officer and saw misdirected rounds and misdrops all the time. Usually, it was people or pallets of equipment, but I have seen ordnance launched against all manners of non-target-related subjects. Lots of trails are close to impact areas, so this does happen a lot. There's the old CMSP&P line through Yakima, WA (the old Pacific Coast extension) that runs right through the Yakima firing Center. While supporting an artillery range there once, there were rounds that went long and impacted along the trail. Thank God it was off season for hikers. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|