It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Association of Railway Museums Convention
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:13 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:05 am
Posts: 1140
Location: San Francisco
Guys,
Last week end was the Assoc of Railway Museums Annual Convention in and around Salt Lake City, Utah. Didn't anyone get out there?

I would have thought some readers of this site would have been there!
How about some comments. We can talk on just about everything here.

Ted Miles


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Association of Railway Museums Convention
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:00 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:19 pm
Posts: 1124
Location: Washington, D.C.
I attend whenever I can, and I always enjoy it and profit from it. But I have to use leave from work and pay my own freight to go, so I don't make it more than one year out of three.

_________________
Erik Ledbetter
www.steamsafari.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Association of Railway Museums Convention
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:03 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:48 am
Posts: 386
Location: Clayton NC
I was there.... good conference on the whole. The seminars covered the spectrum of museum practice very well. They ranged from Don Curry's rattan seat repair to Charlotte Reynolds "Oh my gawd, this is the worst painting caption everrr!" as she held up an actual description of a painting hung in a gallery and told us everything that was wrong with it and how to make captions better. Daniel Kuhn held us in rapt attention as he showed his slides. (Was he the same guy on the bus giving information along the route to Heber City? What a fountain of information....)

My only complaints were not relating to the seminars themselves: no break times, no chance to see the Ogden Union Station museums (unless you skipped seminars, which I didn't do, so I didn't see the museums!)

The site visits to Trax, the Utah State Archives, Heber Valley and Golden Spike were good.

I wasn't on the pre-trip to Ely, but several people told me it was good.

_________________
--Evan


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Association of Railway Museums Convention
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:41 pm 

Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:27 pm
Posts: 328
Location: Texas
[quote="Evan"]I was there.... good conference on the whole.[/quote]

Anything covering fundraising issues/topics?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Association of Railway Museums Convention
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:40 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:48 am
Posts: 386
Location: Clayton NC
Only one talk related to this on doing Day out With Thomas and similar special events and their pitfalls.

_________________
--Evan


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Association of Railway Museums Convention
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:02 pm 

Evan wrote:
Only one talk related to this on doing Day out With Thomas and similar special events and their pitfalls.


Actually, it was a bit more. Tom from OERM suggested thinking as a business - rent your place for money. Get a coordinator for weddings, birthday parties, whatever - and take their money. They are used to paying for services - give them services (outside of the Museum experience) and charge them.

The conference was good - minor things could have made it great. But, it is always good to meet people and discuss ideas.

Jim


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sorry, I missed your train...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:01 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:40 am
Posts: 325
Location: UT
The ARM Charter train for Heber Valley passed me on the ground at the Haul Road crossing, just before making the charge up the hill at the dam on it's return to Heber. I had to pull some props from the back of our HiRail truck to set up for our Haunted Canyon Special that evening.

Sorry that I missed meeting many of you.

sc 'doc' lewis


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sorry, I missed your train...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:04 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:34 am
Posts: 382
So that was you in the hi-rail truck tagging along behind us on the way back!

The photo run-bys were quite a treat. Speeds of 37 and 40 mph!

The highlight of the trip for me was Mike letting me run from the run-by back to the station and NOT having to take slack on the 2% grade.

I was also great to make new friends and see old friends again.

I will also be at TRAIN next week.

_________________
G. Mark Ray - TVRM
www.tvrail.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: