Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Our Duty Our Right!
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11308
Page 1 of 2

Author:  John E. Rimmasch [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:58 am ]
Post subject:  Our Duty, Our Right!

So often we use this discussion board, as well as other boards like it to express our feelings, our beliefs and our opinions. As today is election day, we should stand as one unified body and agree on this one simple fact; We have the freedom to express ourselves on these boards as a result of the freedoms that we share as citizens of the United States of America. We have the freedom to disagree, or agree. We have the freedom to speak and write as we wish.

With this freedom comes a small price as well as a small, but very important responsibility. We, as free speaking Americans need to make our voices heard. Please, if you have not already done so, GO VOTE.

In no way do I feel that we need to turn our discussion board into a political venue. It is however my strong feeling that we need to make our voices heard, if only one voice at a time.

If you have a chance, encourage those around you at work, or at home or at play to go and vote as well. It is our freedom, it is our duty, it is our right.

God bless America!

John E. Rimmasch

Author:  jd johnson [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Our Duty, Our Right!

John,

I just wanted to say AMEN to your post.

All Americans should vote.

Thanks for standing up and reminding us.

JD

Author:  Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:19 pm ]
Post subject:  B&O Museum on ballot in Baltimore

In Baltimore City, among the myriad of bewildering ballot items for a variety of amendments to the City Charter and bond issue approvals, is an item asking for approval for a bond issue for up to $1,000,000 to fund improvements to the B&O Museum, primarily for property acquisition and rehabilitation.

On the one hand, it's nice to see the city taking such an initiative, even if it's only $1 million. On the other hand, no *wonder* many of the neighbors are convinced it's a city-owned, city-operated museum.

Author:  Trainlawyer [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Our Duty, Our Right!

My lovely grandaughter has posted a message I sent her earlier today on some other boards. While my basic sentiment remains constant I assure you that the adjectives do not normally apply to the participants on this board. It does sometimes get extremely frustrating to deal with people who want the government to do something or object to what it is doing but will not take the trouble to spend an hour every few years to remind the politicians in power who they actually work for! Her message is below.

Quoted in it's entirety from my Grandfather (Trainlawyer):

To: meghandedwards@
Subject: Not so subtle reminder
Date: Nov 2, 2004 11:31 AM

Meg,
Food for thought in your next government lecture - How many of those foaming acolytes
on the various message boards who like to blame politicians (rightly much of the
time) for the state of the railroads and the highways are actually going to do their
part to fire the S.O.B.s today?

I'm coming down to your father's office tomorrow. Are you going to stay around
long enough to have a cup of coffee with an old man before your train back to Boston?


His last comment is because as soon as my noon precept is over I'm grabbing a cab to Back Bay so I can catch a train to Trenton where my boyfriend's sister is meeting me to drive me over to Newtown so I can vote!

:wink: Meg

Author:  johnacraft [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Our Duty, Our Right!

John E. Rimmasch wrote:
Please, if you have not already done so, GO VOTE.
John E. Rimmasch




Add me to the Amen chorus.

On a side note, I just looked at CNN and got a big chuckle. I am including the image here in case it changes . . .

the location, if you don't recognize it, is the corner of PA 741 and Black Horse Road in Paradise Township, PA - not far from the Strasburg Rail Road.

Image

Author:  pm-man [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Our Duty, Our Right!

John-
Did my duty at 7:45 this morning -- am pleased to say I was the 136th voter already in my area. The best was yet to come though; my wife voted at lunchtime --- AND WAS THE 743rd! According to the poor ladies at polling station of our local League of Women Voters, this was the largest turnout they had ever seen in our precinct. Very often, we are lucky to see 200 --- a VERY GOOD SIGN!
Thanks, and hope all is well with you and the family. Please say hello, and god bless!

TJ Gaffney

Author:  Martyhuck [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Our Duty, Our Right!

TJ, I agree - I think this election will have the largest turnout in quite a while. And yes, John, I agree - we all have a responsibilty to express our opinions. I went by our polling place around 11AM, and the line was out the door and down the block. I went and ran some errands and got back just before 2 and it was still out the door, but not very far. In all it took me a total of 20 mins from the time I got out of my truck until I got back in it - a small price to pay for the freedoms we enjoy!

Author:  Tim Botti [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Our Duty, Our Right!

Quite right John,

As a first time voter, it was quite nice to finally have a voice in the crowd. Just got back from standing in line for three hours here at PITT. In my opinion, it was quite worth it. To any of the folks my age out there, get out and vote before the polls close. Us college kids have a say in matters too!

Thanks for the insight, as always John.

Author:  survivingworldsteam [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Our Duty, Our Right!

Amen; John. I voted in the absentee voting last week, and stayed home today to take care of the boys while my wife, daughter, and my son's home school teacher/babysitter manned the polling station.

We are lucky indeed to have the privledge to vote, and when we passed by the polling station at 10:00, they reported that voting was heavy. It is nice to at least see everyone taking their right to vote so seriously after years of apathy.

Love the picture you posted, JAC. Did anyone take a steam train or steam car to the polling station? On this rainy day, Benjamin and I did swing through Saratoga, Texas, today to see the remains of an 1890's rear mounted center crank Case traction engine are still at a long-gone museum site (they are.)

Image

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project

Author:  Alan Walker [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Our Duty, Right and Obligation

Good to hear that many of us have done our duty today. Actually I did absentee voting since my job frequently takes me out of town on short notice. Nothing rail related on the ballot here in the Old Pueblo. Maricopa County has a proposition on the ballot to create a light rail transit system in Phoenix. Unfortunately there has been a large mobilization to defeat the light rail prop and spend the money that would go to that project to complete the freeway system there. Record voter turnout is expected here in Pima County, quite possibly more than 80 percent of registered voters. That would not be surprising at all as Pima County's voting average has historically been greater than the national average as far back as anyone remembers.

Author:  Melanie [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Our Duty, Our Right!

Right on, John!

Author:  K.R. Bell [ Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Our Duty, Our Right!

That's funny, John--I used to vote at that very polling place (the Paradise Township community bldg.) back in the late 90s when I lived in the vicinity! Black Horse Road, (a.k.a. Carpenter's crossing on the Strasburg RR) dead-ends at that building.

BTW I heard a rumor that Mr. Rimmasch is no longer at Ohio Central. Can anybody confirm or deny?

Author:  WP&Ymike [ Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Our Duty, Our Right!

Most definitely!!
I voted two weeks ago since I don't like standing in lines and prefer a paper ballot not those fancy new video games they like to use these days.
Looks like the turnout is better than ever, sure glad to see that.
Whoever wins, at least a big majority of the people have made their choice known.

WP&Y mike

Author:  Mark D. [ Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Our Duty, Our Right!

WP&Ymike wrote:
Most definitely!!
I voted two weeks ago since I don't like standing in lines and prefer a paper ballot not those fancy new video games they like to use these days.
Looks like the turnout is better than ever, sure glad to see that.
Whoever wins, at least a big majority of the people have made their choice known.

WP&Y mike

Where I vote here in Minnesota, we still use the paper ballot. Just fill in the little circle with a pencil next to the name you wish to vote for. I hope it stays that way. Simple and no problems.
Mark D.

Author:  Ted Miles [ Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: B&O Museum on ballot in Baltimore

Can you post a report about this money for the museum? How did the vote go?

Ted Miles

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/