Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Steam Locomotive dynos
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11316
Page 1 of 1

Author:  R T [ Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Steam Locomotive dynos

When were dynos first used on steam locomotives here in the US?

Robert

Author:  Dave [ Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam Locomotive dynos

Somewhere in the stacks I Have a Pyle National book from about 1905 or so telling engineers what to do when their dynamo doesn't work and how to troubleshoot the arc carbons in the headlights. It probably was about the turn of the previous century.

dave

Author:  brianf [ Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam Locomotive dynamos

I've often been curious about that myself. I "googled" for "electric headlight law locomotive" and found this link which has a nice concise history of the dynamo and electric headlights.

http://www.trainweb.org/gyra/history.htm

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/