| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Bay City roundhouse question https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11318 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | bobyar2001 [ Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:21 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Bay City roundhouse question |
Anyone know if this former Grand Trunk Western roundhouse still exists at Bay City, Michigan? http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/R ... ityGTW.htm |
|
| Author: | pm-man [ Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:03 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Bay City roundhouse question |
Funny you should mention this roundhouse. I, Dave Sutter, Fritz Milhaupt too, I believe (and assumably others) have tried to find this thing ever since this was first posted. Near as I can tell, no ---- I believe, according to Sanborn Maps, its location would roughly be where a "Hooters" now exists at West Bay City. Neat structure though, huh? What does still exist is what I think is the former Bay City "Wenona" NYC roundhouse just north of here on US 13. I believe it is owned by a scrap dealer or some other firm now, however, the turntable long since removed. If not this roundhouse, I'm not sure which, other than Central Michigan and Lake States operated out of the yard along US -13 for a while. TJG [img]http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/imagesRRHX/Roundhouses/MCRRWenonaRoundhouse021056[ELNovak-CharlieWhippCollection].jpg[/img] |
|
| Author: | Dave Sutter [ Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:04 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Bay City roundhouse question |
Part of the Wenona roundhouse still stands. I believe it is used for storage by Dobson's Moving. The smaller three stall enginehouse is the mystery I have tried to figure out for a long time. Talking to the old railroaders at the White Goose Inn near the tracks on the west side of Bay City has not yeilded much luck. I do find it funny that the header on the webpage says Bessemer, Michigan. The caption on the photo says Bay City (west side). Anyone know for certain the history of this neat lil structure? Dave |
|
| Author: | fredstev [ Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:52 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Bay City roundhouse question |
Are you sure that roundhouse was in Bay City? It appears almost identical to the GTW roundhouse that was in Saginaw years ago. Location was off of Jefferson Ave. behind Means Stamping. When I was a kid (late 50's), I used to go over there early Saturday mornings sometimes and help the crew get their loco hot for the day's switching work. Fred |
|
| Author: | fredstev [ Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:26 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Bay City roundhouse question |
I'm curious enough to try tracking down some more info on this old roundhouse. Not having much luck with google, however I did find a link to a pic of one of the GTW 0-8-0 switchers that worked out of Saginaw during the late 50's. I'm not sure, but I think that during that time era, GTW maintained another steam switcher or two in Bay City, and rotated the Saginaw-based switcher back to BC when it needed servicing. There was a waterplug available at the roundhouse site, and a armstrong turntable, about 80 ft. as I recall. This roundhouse would have been very near the site of Saginaw Brick when it existed, are there any board members still around that could fill us in on the history of rail service for the brickyard? Fred http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Pictures/Photos/021-025/Photo027B.htm |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|