It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Coos Bay Lumber Company RR, near Powers, Oregon.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:09 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:00 pm
Posts: 56
Location: Gresham, Oregon
I have a few questions about the Coos Bay Lumber Company line that ran from Coos Bay to Powers, Oregon.

The line was abandoned in 1970. Do any of the bridges still exist? I can see from ariel photos that some are missing, but I can't tell about others. Also, my RR maps indicate that a tunnel existed just west Powers. Tunnel 22. Does that exist or was it later daylighted? I plan to explore the area this weekend and do a full article on any remains I find to add to my site.

Any information, including on the history would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can email me directly if you'd like: brianmccamish@msn.com

_________________
My Abandoned & Historical Railroads of the NW Website!

My Main Homepage

Image


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Coos Bay Lumber Company RR, near Powers, Oregon.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:12 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:28 am
Posts: 111
Location: Astoria,OR
Make sure you check out "Rails to the Sunset the railroads of Lincoln County". This book is availible at Powells. You can also stop by the locomotive restoration at Toledo and they have copies for sale. The author volunteers down there. There's an engine house and donkey sled "to be found" pictured in the book.

Happy hunting!

Smokebox


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Coos Bay Lumber Company RR, near Powers, Oregon.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:06 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:00 pm
Posts: 56
Location: Gresham, Oregon
smokebox wrote:
Make sure you check out "Rails to the Sunset the railroads of Lincoln County". This book is availible at Powells. You can also stop by the locomotive restoration at Toledo and they have copies for sale. The author volunteers down there. There's an engine house and donkey sled "to be found" pictured in the book.

Happy hunting!

Smokebox


Thanks much for the information. I actually do have that book and do plan to explore the area covered in the book in the future. The area I plan to explore is pretty far south of there, between Coos Bay and the small town of Powers. I've tracked down a number of potentional interesting sites to explore but I'm most curious if that tunnel still exists or if the maps I had were wrong. I ask that, because I'm going to have to hike to reach the site. Everything else is fairly easily accessable with a vehicle.

_________________
My Abandoned & Historical Railroads of the NW Website!

My Main Homepage

Image


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: