Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Coos Bay Lumber Company RR near Powers Oregon.
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11379
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Brian894x4 [ Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:09 am ]
Post subject:  Coos Bay Lumber Company RR, near Powers, Oregon.

I have a few questions about the Coos Bay Lumber Company line that ran from Coos Bay to Powers, Oregon.

The line was abandoned in 1970. Do any of the bridges still exist? I can see from ariel photos that some are missing, but I can't tell about others. Also, my RR maps indicate that a tunnel existed just west Powers. Tunnel 22. Does that exist or was it later daylighted? I plan to explore the area this weekend and do a full article on any remains I find to add to my site.

Any information, including on the history would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can email me directly if you'd like: brianmccamish@msn.com

Author:  smokebox [ Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Coos Bay Lumber Company RR, near Powers, Oregon.

Make sure you check out "Rails to the Sunset the railroads of Lincoln County". This book is availible at Powells. You can also stop by the locomotive restoration at Toledo and they have copies for sale. The author volunteers down there. There's an engine house and donkey sled "to be found" pictured in the book.

Happy hunting!

Smokebox

Author:  Brian894x4 [ Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Coos Bay Lumber Company RR, near Powers, Oregon.

smokebox wrote:
Make sure you check out "Rails to the Sunset the railroads of Lincoln County". This book is availible at Powells. You can also stop by the locomotive restoration at Toledo and they have copies for sale. The author volunteers down there. There's an engine house and donkey sled "to be found" pictured in the book.

Happy hunting!

Smokebox


Thanks much for the information. I actually do have that book and do plan to explore the area covered in the book in the future. The area I plan to explore is pretty far south of there, between Coos Bay and the small town of Powers. I've tracked down a number of potentional interesting sites to explore but I'm most curious if that tunnel still exists or if the maps I had were wrong. I ask that, because I'm going to have to hike to reach the site. Everything else is fairly easily accessable with a vehicle.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/