| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Inquiry for Frank Hicks https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12798 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | JohnCloos [ Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:26 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Inquiry for Frank Hicks |
For Mr Hicks, or anyone else who might have the information... I was viewing the photos on the Dave's Electric Railroads website (www.davesrailpix.com) and noted with interest the page of traction equipment existing in less-than-optimal preservation situations. Of particular note was the equipment listed at the Indiana Transportation Museum, and what appears to be a private collection on a farm in Buckeye Lake, Ohio. What is the current status of the equipment in Indiana ? There seems to be some very unique equipment there going to rot, in particular a Union Traction combine, an Indianapolis & Cincinnati combine, and a 1902 Jewtt THI&E car. Rarities indeed, and from the photos posted, I worry about the long term prospects for these cars. The dates posted for the photos is close to four years ago,, any new information to share ? Are these cars readily accessible for anyone to see ? Also the private collection in Buckeye Lake,,, what is this collection ? Is this someone's personal collection or ???? Again, is this collection accessible to anyone publicly ? Any info appreciated |
|
| Author: | Tom Cornillie [ Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Inquiry for Frank Hicks |
Also, how much of the historic fabric/historic integrity of any of these pieces is intact? There is a tremendous range in these factors out of all the interurban carbodies that I know of being preserved - ranging from being a gutted carbody to almost complete minus seats and mechanical items. I would argue that, in making a decision about what to preserve, intactness should be as (if not more) important that the physical condition of the remains. Tom Cornillie |
|
| Author: | Frank Hicks [ Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:25 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Inquiry for Frank Hicks |
FoxValley wrote: Of particular note was the equipment listed at the Indiana Transportation Museum, and what appears to be a private collection on a farm in Buckeye Lake, Ohio. What is the current status of the equipment in Indiana ? I don't know any more about the situation at ITM than I read in the "Flimsies" section on this site, but as far as I know the situation at Noblesville has not changed regarding the electric collection. Their electric car department is apparently dormant at the moment, and I don't believe any significant work has been done on the electric cars there in the past three or four years. FoxValley wrote: There seems to be some very unique equipment there going to rot, in particular a Union Traction combine, an Indianapolis & Cincinnati combine, and a 1902 Jewtt THI&E car. Rarities indeed, and from the photos posted, I worry about the long term prospects for these cars. The dates posted for the photos is close to four years ago,, any new information to share ? Are these cars readily accessible for anyone to see ? They're easily accessible when the museum is open - some are "officially on display," while the rest (except for two or three in the barn) can be reached by simply walking a few hundred feet further down the track. Their yard was fairly well kept up when I was there so it was easy to walk around. FoxValley wrote: Also the private collection in Buckeye Lake,,, what is this collection ?
Is this someone's personal collection or ???? Again, is this collection accessible to anyone publicly ? The Buckeye Lake collection is the private collection of an individual and is not open for public viewing. It is, however, easily visible from I-70. |
|
| Author: | pm-man [ Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:35 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Inquiry for Frank Hicks |
Then Tom, much of the Buckeye Lake equipment would be a goner in your assessment. I remember how it looked in my undergrad days (1993-1997), and those cars were rough then. Sad as it is to say, there are some VERY rare pieces there, but trust me---- I'm speaking from experience here ---- the man that owns that equipment (as well as his large dog) are not railfan friendly, even for questions. The CN&Z interurban body (now cabin) just down the way, however, might be, as it is the only known piece of CN&Z equipment left that I know of (Columbus, Newark & Zanesville). TJ Gaffney |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|