| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17535 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | survivingworldsteam [ Mon May 23, 2005 1:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven |
As seen in the pictures below, S.S. Norway (ex S.S. France) left her dock at Bremerhaven, Germany a few hours ago: http://www.schiffsphoto.de/HTM/Cruise/N ... way.htmThe same tug that towed her from Miami to Bremerhaven is taking her to an uncertain future in the far east.In an event that was probably planned by Norweigen Cruise Lines, she passed the new-built Pride of America on her way out. Not planned, but appropiate to many, the weather turned from sunny to driving rain as the change of guard took place.-James Hefner Hebrews 10:20a Surviving World Steam Project |
|
| Author: | Richard Glueck [ Mon May 23, 2005 8:52 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven |
Great website, James. I took particular notice of the French mural of the ark, distinguished with the France's distinguishing stacks and colors. A touch of her best years remaining. How we shall miss her, and the hopeless hope that she might once again ply the North Atlantic. |
|
| Author: | Mark D. [ Mon May 23, 2005 8:57 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven |
Those are the saddest photos of an inanimate object I've seen in a long time. That shot of the stern as she departs on her last journey was really depressing. Truly the end of an era.Mark D. |
|
| Author: | Kevin Gillespie [ Mon May 23, 2005 9:14 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven |
Question for James, Mark & others more in the know than I:What I've been reading is that she is to be a stationary, or perhaps moving casino. I've been following this story closely, and are the casino owners really fronting for the scrap merchants of Alang?This inquiring mind wants to know more.If she is indeed on her way to the scrap beaches of India or Bangladesh, then these photos are heartbreakers indeed. |
|
| Author: | Joshua K. Blay [ Mon May 23, 2005 9:37 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven |
Any S.S. United States updates? Or is it situation normal? I'm near Philly and still have yet to go find her.Joshua |
|
| Author: | Trainlawyer [ Tue May 24, 2005 12:19 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven |
Joshua K. Blay wrote: Any S.S. United States updates? Or is it situation normal? I'm near Philly and still have yet to go find her.Joshua You can see her stacks from I-95 North after you pass the sports complex. If you simply go down to the CP Rail terminal off of Packer Ave. and then go north on Delaware (aka Columbus) Avenue you cannot miss her.GME
|
|
| Author: | Mark D. [ Tue May 24, 2005 10:56 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven |
I guess it hasn't been announced for certain that she's on the way to Alang, but apparently the deal for hotel service, and the other one that she'd do slow cruises with her two remaining boilers have fallen through. The talk was that it was headed for India. I don't have confirmation of this, but if one looks at the economics of the situation it isn't too difficult to come to the conclusion that the breakers is the next port of call. Also, she has been stripped of most interior fittings of any real value. Mark D. |
|
| Author: | Mark D. [ Tue May 24, 2005 10:56 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven |
I guess it hasn't been announced for certain that she's on the way to Alang, but apparently the deal for hotel service, and the other one that she'd do slow cruises with her two remaining boilers have fallen through. The talk was that it was headed for India. I don't have confirmation of this, but if one looks at the economics of the situation it isn't too difficult to come to the conclusion that the breakers is the next port of call. Also, she has been stripped of most interior fittings of any real value. Mark D. |
|
| Author: | Mark D. [ Tue May 24, 2005 6:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven |
Nice picture. Even with all the added deck houses and structures, what a beautiful boat that is. Classic yacht like design. Nothing like that is likely to ever be built again. Everything built today is built to maximize inside spaces, without a need to handle the North Atlantic seas. Mark D. |
|
| Author: | Txhighballer [ Tue May 24, 2005 10:12 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven |
Is she still close to the USS Constellation? the last time I was in the area they were berthed pretty close together. |
|
| Author: | joecomer [ Wed May 25, 2005 7:28 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven |
I'm pretty sure the Constellation is @ the inner harbor in Baltimore. |
|
| Author: | Txhighballer [ Wed May 25, 2005 1:35 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: [Marine Preservation] S.S. Norway departs Bremerhaven |
They must have moved her because at one time( 1997) they were both in the inner harbor. Either that or I'm getting old. Though a Navy friend,I boarded both ships at that time. Boarded? I sound like a pirate! |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|